German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

new person

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r nickell

PostPosted: 08/31/10, 1:49 pm    Post subject: new person Reply with quote

hello,
My name is Gretta I am between one and two years old and was resuced from a shelter by the dad who I am letting type this. Dad adopted me after seeing me on petfinders and came to visit me with my new brother Murphy who is a GSP. So far I have shown him that I have had some hunting training but I am making him work slow so just showing him alittle bit at a time. That way I keep him interested. I have shown him I am trained to retrive, and to whoo and set on both voice and hand commands. Last time we did some work with live birds I held my point till he released the bird, but then I got interested in something he called a bird launcher and kind of blew off the fling pigoen. Next time I will be more prepaired for that thing that tosses the birds up in the air. In the house I have been carefull and not had any accidents so far and have been behaving pretty well for a younger dog. Of course outside I let him know real fast that a four foot chain link fence was not much of a challenge to get over ( for that matter climbing the six foot one was not that hard either ). That kind of backfired though and now I get put on a yard chain when in the backyard by myself. Dad says he is glad I found this site while crusing the internet cause I have left him with questions as about my breed of dog ( he seems to kind of like me and finds me really smart ). Hey got to run for now cause Murphy is looking at one of my toys and I have to go hide it from him, then guess I will stand by the back door and bark to go outside. Talk to you all later time to play now.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 09/01/10, 1:45 pm    Post subject: new person Reply with quote

Hello,

Welcome to the wonderful world of wires! As you have discovered - they are smart & athletic.

My first wire could jump a six foot privacy fence from a sit. He was also placed on a 40 ft rope - he could get around the yard but not jump the fence. He was only on the rope when we were home - he stayed in his crate in the house when were gone.

I am currently on my fourth wire - Turner - he is one year old and a hoot. The other two wires love to play with him.

Cathy
rivercruz303

PostPosted: 10/12/10, 9:27 pm    Post subject: beautiful! Reply with quote

what a lovely dog! i want to hug it Smile

"Dog is man's best friend" Cool Cool Cool Cool

River
Dallas Roofing Company
brycetaylor

PostPosted: 11/27/10, 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI I am new here. I got a GWP but he seems to be too hyperactive and won't stop barking. I don't know where to ask this question here, so being a newbie i thought I'd ask in the newbie thread. What's wrong with my dog?
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/28/10, 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bryce,

How old is your GWP and where did you get him? When does he bark?

Neither of our GWPs were barkers (mom and her son) but, the 4 year old DD (German registered wirehair) is rather vocal. Different lines of dogs perform differently.

The DD is mainly vocal for about 3-5 minutes after we return home or to get her meal. We ignore her until she stops barking which means - no going outside, no feeding, no talking to her or ordering her to stop. We pretty much pretend she doesn't exist until she sits quietly. It has helped some but, she is pretty strong willed. Outside of those times she's very well behaved and is a good dog to have around.

What does your dog do?

Deb
bobmorton

PostPosted: 01/23/11, 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum! I am also new here, your pet is so cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/11/11, 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, you will find the information and knowledge of the breed here very helpful as you enter the world of GWP’S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: