German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Right Decision??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete

PostPosted: 06/23/03, 4:46 pm    Post subject: Right Decision?? Reply with quote

I posted this in training earlier...opps

Over the past weekend my family visited a breeder and picked out a female GWP. Now I wondering if I'm making the correct decision with picking a GWP?? We don't have her home yet. I used to bird hunt in the past and wouldn't mind doing it occasionally in the future but don't see myself doing it all fall. Is a GWP going to be a good dog for a family that likes the outdoors. I'm most worried about the dog and my 16 month old daughter and future child. I've read so many contradicting things lately I don't know what to do??
oacona

PostPosted: 06/24/03, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting any dog is a big decision, and I understand about hearing contradictory things about GWPs. But all I want to say is that that my GWP is 2 years old and the absolute best decision we ever made. He fills our days with laughs, he is so smart and funny looking and affectionate and energetic, and birdy. We do hunt him a good bit, but not ALL the time. He is certainly a bird dog and when hunting, loves it more than anything. But when we aren't hunting, he just wants to be with us. He needs exercise, but not unnatural amounts. My take on GWPs is that they are a bit extra effort, but worth all of it. That extra bit of intelligence and personality creates the challenge and also the very best dog in the world, in my opinion.
We don't have children, so I don't have experiences in that area. But if you are choosing a puppy, she will be growing up with your family and I'd think all would be just fine. We are an outdoors family also, and our pal joins in all the fun.
I would have 10 of them if I could. Good luck with your decision, but I just wanted to say that we absolutely adore our GWP.
abbygwp

PostPosted: 06/25/03, 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted some things about my GWP and her behavior, but I would not turn anyone off this breed. I have two children 8 & 4 and my GWP is now 2. She is the most loyal and loving pet we could ever want with our kids. She would guard them with her life on one hand, and then let the kids poke, prod and sit on her on the other.

I think any puppy that is raised with kids becomes "one of them" if raised with children properly. Knowing that the kids are NOT chew toys is a big thing.

Our Abby has very strong german blood lines and I think that is her bullheadedness, but I would own another GWP in a heartbeat. We do not hunt Abby, never have, but she gets lots of exercise and has a large yard to run in. She hunts everything in the yard.

Abby is the favorite of the neighboorhood dogs which include lots of labs, but our fur face comes out on top when it comes to playing with the kids. Since Abby is my first GWP, I can only reccommend that you do raise them with a strong sense that YOU are top dog and not her.

Good luck on your decision. Even buying a lab or other "family" type dog should be thought out very carefully. You do not want to purchase a dog if you are going to have second thoughts about it once you have it.
outdoorsman
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/25/03, 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 9 month old daughter and a 3 year old son. I picked up our GWP in March. I couldn't be happier. Hershey, lets my daughter crawl over him and tug on his coat. She has even put her hand in his food bowl while he was eating and he didn't even touch her.

THe only problem I have had was while my son is running in the back yard Hershey wants to tackle him. All though, Hershey is playing it is hard to explain to a 3 year old. We placed a shock collar on him and when he starts to jump on my son we just hit the beep button and he stops in his tracks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: