German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

our new/old GWP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beths

PostPosted: 06/23/03, 4:06 pm    Post subject: our new/old GWP Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm new to the board and the breed but have been researching GWP for about a year. My husband's family has had a GWP of the past and we thought it was just the kind of pet we wanted to share our new house and property with. We've been looking and looking but it doesn't seem that there any breeders in Ontario. We'd all but given up hope but last week we found a GWP at a shelter as a 'stray'. Went to look at him and he's the most beautiful dog I've ever laid eyes on... okay a bit biased... but really.

The shelter said that he's about 3-4 yrs old, and probably a kennel dog. Well, that seems to be true. He's got no manners! Although affectionate, I don't think he's been around humans, certainly no one has trained him, doesn't seem to know any commands, doesn't understand 'SIT', doesn't respond to any names (not Dog or Puppy or anything), poor thing also doesn't seem to know how to play. We've been tossing little teddy bears at him and if he doesn't jump away, he just sniffs... coming around though. Tossed a teddy at my toes this morning looking for something to do I think. Laughing

The odd thing is that he looks to be a purebred, and even has a Tattoo (which the shelter said came up dead). So what I can't understand is how someone can pay a breeders cost, tattoo him, then forget him and lose him??? I am very curious about him and wondered if there was a way to trace his number, maybe he's from another country? Registered through a specific kennel club? Any ideas? I do appreciate your suggests and help! Looking forward to getting to know you all better... what a great sounding board!!!
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/24/03, 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If he's tattooed he's maybe from VDD lines. Here's the web site address for this group: http://www.vdd-gna.org

Jon P. (who frequents this board) is a member of the VDD and perhaps can at least verify for you if this is a DD if you give some information about the tattoo. He very knowledgeable of both the European and North American DD groups & could probably give you some suggestions.

Jon may be out of town so another option is to go to the following web site: www.modernsportsman.com, click on forums and then scroll down to the hunting dog forums. Look for a recent post from a member listed as Wildflugel (I think her post is under the training forum), she's a breeder and judge of VDD's and is always willing to answer questions.

If he is a DD he could have been taught commands in German which is why he doesn't respond to what you are saying. I speak no German but maybe someone here does and can give you a couple of commands to try.

As for playing.... our female GWP loves to play but our male is exactly like your's - throw a toy and he just looks at you - unless you command 'fetch' then he will happily retrieve it. He just is not a playful dog but he is very affectionate.

Have fun with the new addition to your family and good luck in finding out something about his background.

Deb
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 06/25/03, 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beth,

First let me say, WELCOME to the wonderful world of GWPs. You will NOT regret your rescue decision.

I too live in Ontario, and got my GWP girl out of the Barrie SPCA almost a year ago. She's black and grey though, not a brown, but every inch GWP, and definitely from real hunting stock. She's got more instinct and drive than all the GSPs and vizslas we hang out with. where did you get your boy from?

Your boy may have been used for hunting and then lost. Did they have any records? I've seen so many GWPs on Petfinder.com awaiting rescue, and it pains me when I see some that have been brought in by their hunter-owner who has dumped them simply because their hunting days are over. If we lived in the country, we'd have a half dozen of these hairy rescues running around...probably more!

I would love to hear more about your boy. And would love to see photos if you have any. If you'd like to e-mail me privately, I'm at illona@rogers.com. Would love to hear from you. In the meantime, be patient. My girl as well wasn't housebroken and the only word she knew was "no". Not even her name...which we changed. Now she's smart as a whip. Consistently at the top of her obedience courses, as well as agility.
And house manners? She's a dream...now. Took a little work, but she was SO worth it!

all the best,
Illona
Beths

PostPosted: 06/27/03, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the replies! Reply with quote

Its been fun and its been frustrating being a GWP owner... ofcourse its only been 5 days. Confused

Diesel, our dog, is still getting used to us and we're trying to train him at the same time to get him used to us. He's delightful to be around inside, outside he's a handful. Today, was not a good day. I'll go to the training forum for more info...

Illona,... hehehe... how do I say this... your girl, was she at the shelter with a name like 'Lucie, Lulu or something like that'? I think we were looking to adopt her too!!! About a year ago when she popped up in the Barrie SPCA as our friends told us about a GWP for adoption. Unfortunately we couldn't get out there soon enough to have a look at her before she was gone. Congratulations though! Laughing Our boy was at the Pt. Perry Shelter. He only popped up and we were there with 24hrs. Like I said, we've been searching for quite a while.

I think I'll be posting in here for awhile since he's a bit of challenge for us right now. Hope to see posts from you!
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 06/27/03, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny! ...that you might have looked at my girl. Her name was Maggie while she was there. Probably the same girl, since I don't think I've seen a single GWP come up there since.

And she WAS a handful when we first got her. Dang, my partner kept telling me we could take her back! But once I bring an animal home, I'm committed. And thank God! She's the best.

The first couple weeks were the worst. She wasn't housetrained, she was obsessed with the cat (who had to be put into solitary confinement for 7 months until I got a handle on this dog), and she was like a bull in the proverbial China shop. She wasn't bad in the crate...after a week of barking, but she'd wet it and then lie in it. She went through a massive healing crisis with a number of minor health issues. It was pretty brutal. In fact, at week 2 we made a pros and cons list, and I'm afraid there wasn't a single "pro" on the list! Like I said though, I don't take a dog back. And now...she's a dream!

And you are definitely going to have those bad days...for quite a while. Two steps forward, one step back. It's going to take a few months for him to recognize you as his leader; who knows what he's been through? If you can get him into obedience classes, that would be excellent. I probably know more about obedience training than the instructor we've had for our first couple levels, but it's the environment that's so important, working him someplace new, with distractions, etc. It really helps to firm up that bond that most people have with their dogs from puppyhood. Also, agility really put Matea and I together. We were out doing things for fun and she knows she's with me.

I also have done a lot of e-collar training with her. I know some people don't agree with e-collars, but they've come a long way. Her working level is so low my dad hardly feels it on his arm. Since having Matea on the e-collar (since late March) she is a different dog. She is happier than ever before and super confident. She has so much freedom. I take her on long hikes, and have her whistle trained. She's awesome. Now that I've experienced training with the e-collar, I'd probably never train a dog again without it. There's just nothing that compares when you're dealing with a high-energy dog that needs off-leash exercise...unless, of course, that dog is ball crazy. But if you've got a high-drive hunting dog--in my opinion--the e-collar is a lifesaver. Matea and I have an awesome bond now and she's the best trained and most reliable dog out of all my friends who own vizslas and GSPs and a couple other non-hunting dogs.

But yes, you're going to have bad days and good days. Heck, we still have the odd bad day. Don't expect too much of Diesel for a while. He's gone through a lot. Needs to adjust. Get to know his new family.

By the way, when we first got Matea you couldn't walk her on leash unless you half-wrapped the leash around your waist and used your body weigth. She had no respect for any kind of collar, and could probably still pull a 100 lb sled with a halti. It took many months of working with her to stop her from pulling, but we're there. We're totally there. It just takes work. In the long run, it is SOOOO worth it.

I'd love to see pics of your boy. If you've got any maybe you could e-mail a couple!

Hang in there. Others have been through this; you're not alone.

Illona
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: