German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Long Line Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/19/03, 10:41 am    Post subject: Long Line Work Reply with quote

I have heard the term "longline" term thoughout the threads here, BUT my question is how do you do it? I grew up on a small ranch and all I can think of is lunge line(running your horse in circles on a long leash).. Am I correct in this thinking to a sort? Or am I totally wrong?
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 06/19/03, 2:18 pm    Post subject: General Chat Reply with quote

The term "longline" is really a check cord. It is a long length of rope usually 40 foot long used to give the dog some freedom, but also giving you the ability to give a correction if necessary.

I use it on my 8 yr old dog when doing bird work if he needs a reminder & I let my 11 month old female run with one in the field so if she "forgets" how to come when called, I have some means of catching her. Rolling Eyes
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/19/03, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Long Line Work Reply with quote

Not sure I quit understand how this works, because I know when my last GWP decided she didnt want to "come" when told there is no way I could ever catch her, until she wanted to be caught!!!!
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 06/19/03, 5:39 pm    Post subject: General Chat Reply with quote

Hi,

I understand what you are saying, if they don't want to be caught, it can be hard, but at some point in time, they have to come close & you can step on the rope or I have been known to jump on it & grap it with my hands ( with gloves on of course!) or you can run them down on horseback & step on the rope, my horse is getting quite good at stepping on the check cord! Wink
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/19/03, 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a long line (check cord) mainly to control a young dog while training (mainly training steadiness). However, some people will use it to aid in catching a run away dog. I, like you, found I wasn’t fast enough to catch the dog if it didn’t want to be caught. And, some dogs, after being caught a few times, learn how far away they need to stay so you can’t catch the end of the check cord.

I believe it is best to first work on the “come” command in the yard. Since it is such an important command, you want to spend a considerable amount of time on it, until the dog always comes when called. Gradually extend the distance between you and dog before you call it (out to the end of the check cord). Then begin to add more and more distraction, culminating with a bird (the ultimate distraction). Once you can call your dog, and it will leave a bird to come, you are ready to take it to the field. Let the dog run, and call it to you at random intervals. If the dog refuses to come, put the check cord on it, review your lessons, and try it again.

Some dogs will become check cord wise, and will respond properly while the check cord is attached, but will blow you off as soon as they think they are free. In that case, you may want to invest in an e-collar (you must properly condition the dog to the collar before using it in training). The e-collar will function as an extension of the check cord. The dog will soon learn that you can reach “out and touch it” no matter how far away it is from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: