German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Weight for a three month old male

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Concreteboy

PostPosted: 02/08/09, 12:05 am    Post subject: Weight for a three month old male Reply with quote

My male is weighing about 12 lbs looks very skinny can see ribs he does not eat very much, can i maybe change his food? The breeder i bought him from has me feeding him a adult food that has alot of lamb and protein i exercise him 3 to 4 times a week 1 to 2 mile runs at the park. Confused
Rhonda
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/08/09, 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't mention what the fat/protein ratio is of your food. Regardless, I would really strongly recommend feeding a puppy food. I add a milk replacer, too. Our competition dogs that are being worked hard also receive the puppy food.

There are many brands out there that produce a good quality puppy food that won't be "too hot" and lead to risks of growth problems.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/08/09, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Weight for a three month old male Reply with quote

Hi,

I feed my young dog Nutro Holistic for large breed puppies - he is thin and this seems to help him without causing issues with growth.

Cathy
Rhonda
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/09/09, 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I bypassed another obvious thing....I would take the pup to the vet with a fecal sample and have him tested for worms. Worms are not uncommon in a young dogs....or old, for that matter!

Good Luck!
york_rotch

PostPosted: 02/09/09, 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pup is just turning a year old this month and is approaching 70lbs. At 12 weeks of age he weighed 22 pounds. I'd have him looked at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: