German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Dog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctperk

PostPosted: 01/13/09, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Dog Reply with quote

I have a friend who is thinking about giving his GWP away. He is doing this because he is no longer to hunt like he wants to and does not feel it is fair to the dog. Any suggestions? I kind of looked at the rescue page, but not sure if this counts as a rescue? I have seen the dog hunt and he does a nice job.
gwp4ever

PostPosted: 03/30/09, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first your friend needs to contact the breeder of the dog. Hopefully the breeder will take the dog back and/or assist in rehoming the dog.
Second, tell your friend that to never have children or get another dog, as the novelty may wear off, and that wouldn't be fair to the child, and also if a person does this to one dog, the person may do it to another! Also if they don' t have time to hunt with the dog then there certainly won't be time to take the kid hunting, so that is one more reason not to have children
I hope those of you reading this recognize that this is meant , as all humor, to have some reality to it!
Anyway, hope the dog gets an excellent home however it works out-
Maybe your friend will come to their senses and spend more time having fun with the dog and things will work out all around.
Rhonda
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/31/09, 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there;

Sounds to me like the owner has the dog's best interest at heart. Rather than leave it sitting in a kennel for the rest of it's life, or just dumping it off at a shelter, or, even worse, taking it for "a drive to the country", he is trying to find it a home where it can do what it was bred for and be a member of someone's family. That is the kind of owner that I look for when I am placing my dogs.

Sometimes life deals you a hand that you weren't expecting...job changes, health issues..any number of things. It sounds to me like he is trying to be responsible about this.

Rhonda and Jim
gwp4ever

PostPosted: 03/31/09, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Good re-home for the dog Reply with quote

Yes, well said.
Sometimes circumstances change and just are not working out. I agree that it is a responsible approach to look for a more optimal situation for the dog.
I do hope the dog has a breeder who can be of assistance. However it works out, I hope the dog gets a new home that is a good match.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: