German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

New to the Breed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Florida

PostPosted: 01/12/09, 9:03 am    Post subject: New to the Breed Reply with quote

Hi, I'm quite new to the GWP, but I have become very impressed by the ones I have met. I have experience with boarder collies and vizsla's, but I do not hunt.

What my question is: is this dog really suitable for someone who doesn't hunt? I know some breeds are okay as long as they are exercised while others simply are not stimulated enough by any other activity. I was also considering looking into the VDD as a way of getting involved with the dog and I was hoping someone may be able to say something about that (I have looked at the website). Thanks.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 01/12/09, 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suitable?
No

They ARE Hunting dogs
This is certainly true of the VDD dogs (One Must be a Licensed Hunter to purchase a DD).
Many serious Navhda breeders might also shun selling to a non hunting home.

Go to a pound and rescue a companion dog, You and the dog will be happy with your choice.

Yes, some GWPs/DDs are nice Companion dogs, but their true potential isnt reached, and I think their heart/soul is never at peace, if not given the chance to hunt.

Its Akin to now allowing a Greyhound to ever run..
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 01/12/09, 1:47 pm    Post subject: New to the Breed Reply with quote

Hi,

If you are active and enjoy spending time with your dog - then you should not worry about not being a hunter. I don't hunt -own 3 wires and do field work with them - they are happy to just be with me. I do agility, obedience and confirmation.

Cathy
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/04/09, 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Whiskerdog, you do the dog a great in-justice not allowing it to fulfill it’s full potential. GWP’s and Deutsch Drahthaar are breed for hunting.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/04/09, 11:18 am    Post subject: New to the Breed Reply with quote

You are correct - they are bred to hunt but they are capable of doing other things.

I think it is pretty stupid to think that you should only own a wire if you hunt.

Cathy
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/04/09, 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't sell to non-hunters. That said, I think there are homes where a dog will do well provided there is a lot of exercise and discipline is applied. Owners have to recognize that the these dogs are going to hunt when given the chance and that no critter is safe, including the neighbors cats, stupid squirrels and roving raccoons. There are simply better domestic choices for house pets.....as many fine Labs and Goldens attest too.
These dogs are NOT interchangeable with your average Goldendoodle and therein lies the problem.

Some years back I was running two DD during a walk in a 2500 acre state forest on a cold fall day. I met a nice lady walking with her two friends with a Labradoodle (the $2500 variety---out of champion stock I guess Wink ) who asked about my dogs. I told her what they were and she inquired if it was dangerous to run them where there might be other animals. I pointed out the e-collars to her and mentioned that there really wasn't much game along the walking trails.....exactly as my 4 year old appears with a chipmunk....cold feet sticking out of her mouth....and sits and delivers as any well trained dog should do. I, of course, praise the dog and take the chipmunk....mention how these poor animals often die with the onset of cold weather and how the dogs automatically bring them when found (the training don't you know!!!!!). I'm not sure they bought my quick recovery, but it seemed a plausible story to avoid a cell phone call to the police to complain of my vicious dogs killing the local wildlife.
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/04/09, 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmmilach, I take server umbrage with you stupid remark, obviously your parent’s flied to teach you social skills. I was taught that everyone’s opinion has some merit and is not to be considered stupid. I take it from your remarks that you must be a non-hunter and a tree hugger at your very best. Being a Senior you would think you would know that this posting is not for insulating fellow contributors, no matter what your misguided values may be
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/04/09, 2:52 pm    Post subject: New to the Breed Reply with quote

Leadhead,

My parents taught me to speak my mind. I am not a tree hugger - even though I live in Colorado. I also think it is not so smart for some people to put their opinons out there like they are all knowing.

This is a wonderful breed - why should only some people own them. I know quite a few wirehair owners who do not hunt & their dogs are fine.

Cathy
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/04/09, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cmmilach,Speak your mind, that’s rich coming from someone that uses a GWP for nothing more then defecating on the rug or the local ball field.
Dave
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/05/09, 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that these dogs were born to hunt, but on the other hand an owner like Cathy who is active with her dogs is a far better GWP owner than many hunters who let their dogs languish in the kennel for 9 months a year. Just my $.02
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/05/09, 10:42 am    Post subject: New to the Breed Reply with quote

Dear Leadhead

First off - my dogs do not poop on the rug or the local ball field. I take my dogs out every weekend to my friends 400 acre ranch and run them off of horseback.

Your ignorance is showing. My dogs have a great life - they live in the house and eat better than most people.

Cathy
dualgwp

PostPosted: 02/06/09, 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give my .02, take it for what it's worth.

I wish every GWP was sold to a hunter, or that every GWP owner would hunt, or trial, or do hunt tests, anything that gets that dog out in the field doing what it was, or should be, bred to do.

I am not a gun carrying hunter. However, when I got my first GWP back in the dark ages, I realized this was a breed that needed a job. My husband hunted, so we started to take the puppy out looking for birds. In my neck of the woods, wild birds have become non existant and our only option in those days was to learn what field trials were all about. So, we did that.

navhda was just beginning to get organized, and there were no hunt tests.

Today, there is little excuse for any GWP owner to not get their dog out into the field. Maybe you can't go hunting wild birds, but you can train, test, trial and work the dog.

I do have to say, if I didn't live where I live, have the grounds and the opportunity to run my dogs daily, I would never ever own this breed. They are too high maintenence, too active, too busy, too demanding and totally unhappy to be a simple house dog. At least for me.

I would have to say that the vast majority of problem dogs, dogs ending up in rescue are from homes where the owners do not work the dogs in any way. They thought they were cute puppies, and neat looking dogs, and they bought one. They either ignored, or didn't listen to, or weren't told about the activity level of this breed, they had dogs all their lives.....yada,yada,yada.

I unsell this breed to more phone callers than I sell them to.

Can a non hunting GWP be a good and happy dog? Sure, if they have an owner who is dedicated enough to the dog to make sure he has both mental and physical stimulation, and is willing to train,train, train.

If not, do yourself and the dog a favor....consider another breed.

Just my opinion!
SAAEBC

PostPosted: 02/06/09, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frequently I read of rescue GWP's deemed as gun shy. Would one of these not make a wonderful companion to an active and attentive household?
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/06/09, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s my point; the only reason the dog is gun shy is do to the fact that some non hunting, no talent tried to train a gun dog, and then abandoned it. Look at the Irish Setter, Golden Retriever, and the Standard Poodle in the US all have lost their natural instinct to hunt. They became show dogs and house pets and were not used for what they were originally bred for.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 02/06/09, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, a gun shy dog may make a great family pet... or it may not. All according to why the dog is gun shy.

I want to make one thing clear... all of my dogs are my pets and companions first, then they are working dogs. Without them being mentally sound and liveable... they are not much use or fun to have as working dogs.

If they aren't working gun dogs, they can make a great family member, but they will never be bred and a family companion they will stay.

I don't think anyone of us is saying a GWP can't be a great pet, just that those looking ONLY for a pet may be better served looking at another breed to fill that purpose. And the breed would be better served in the long run as well.

I love this breed to death.... but, there are time I wonder why I own them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: