German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/16/03, 8:21 am    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have a weird question for you..

I am in the USAF, and just made a move with my GWP. She was about 7 months old and passed away about 4 days after the move. We left her with my father in law, and one night she was fine and the next morning she was dead in the pin.

Any ideas? I had taken her to the vet just before we left for the trip and she checked out fine. One breeder said it could be a mix of new climate and depression because we had left her... Could this be true?

Thanks Mike
cheerio

PostPosted: 06/16/03, 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very sad, at 7 months, what an unfortunate event. Please, allow me to express my sadness in the loss of your beloved GWP.

At to your question, I do not believe that a dog can die of depression simply because of a move. If this were the case, kennels who keep dogs while their owners are vacationing, breeders who neglect their dogs, and owners who abuse their dogs would see an incredable death rate. Dogs can be sad, unhappy and depressed as we can, but do not die from it, with the rare exceptions ofmature dogs who let themselves die after the death of their owner, in which case, they are not pups, and do not die of depression, usually of hanger and dehydration as they refuse to eat and drink. It seems to me that if your pup had stopped eating and laid down depressed in a corner, your family member who was taking care of her would have called a vet.

What a pitty that an autopsy was not performed, as you may be dealing with a congenital defect, one that would have been very important for the breeder to know, one which could have given you a new pup at no extra charge. The defect that comes to mind is Cardiomyopathy, a problem very difficult to diagnose and who kill your pup in one instant. 7 months is a little young to die from it but it does happen. Brain anurism can also be considered, although not very common.

Your dog may also have chocked on something, a bit of food, or suffered a heat stroke, depending of where you are, or whether he was muzzled...

Of course, I am here assuming that your pup was not showing any sign of illness. Otherwise, there is a wide range of infectious diseases that will kill a pup within 5 days of the onset of the symptoms, even where the pups has been vaccinated, such as Parvo, dystemper...
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/16/03, 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM,

Very sorry to hear about your loss.

Like Cheerio, I don’t think your dog died of depression. At 7 months old, most pups are pretty flexible and would even adjust to a new home and owner pretty easily. I take it you didn’t have the pup autopsied. If you had, I think the vet would have been able to provide you with the physical cause or causes for the dog’s death.
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/16/03, 1:57 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

No, no autopsy was done. She was not muzzled ( I dont like them) and she was playing the night before with my mother in law, so no signs of illness. Milli was a pound puppy in a sense ( got her from the humain folks at the local pets mart) so it could have been many things we didnt know about, though she had been to the vet for shots and checkups.

My inlaws are very much animal people, they own a petting zoo and so on, so if she would have been sick they would have taken her to a vet.

Thank you all for your expression of saddness Milli was the best dog I have owned in many years. On a good note for fathers day my wife bought me a new GWP pup from a breeder in Wisconsin. I will be all over this board with new questions with my new pup im sure.... I just hope she is as brite as milli. As far as personallity goes Milli had the best I have seen, so if the new GWP's personallity is half as good I will be greatful.

I await my new adventure with open arms! I have found the breed of Dog I like now, so hopefully never again will I be without one.

Mike
Hunters Edge

PostPosted: 07/03/03, 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike so sorry to hear of your loss but had to congratulate you on a good woman and that new pup of yours. Hope everything goes well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: