German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Where do I start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurab32

PostPosted: 12/23/08, 3:53 pm    Post subject: Where do I start? Reply with quote

We have a female gwp, 5yrs old and has been nothing but a pain since day one. Whenever we aren't around all she does is bark. We can't have company over because she gets "crazy" and will bite, only very few people she likes. When the wether was nice I would take her for a walk but then it ended up she took me for a walk and drag me down the street. Not to mention if we were walking down the street and another dog was out in their own yard, she would go crazy and try to attack them and I'd be stuck trying to drag her away.

A few weeks ago she bit my 5yr old son and of course I got really mad at her and she knew it because she started peeing on my floor. I put her out in the garage and was ready to just drop her off anywhere, but my husband stopped me. I've put an ad in the paper for her but nobody wants her because she's just crazy. She's been a house dog for the past four years and I thought things would get better with her when she got older but she didn't.

For the most part she's a loving dog, but then other times she's just a pain. I know she's doing it for attention but she's getting the wrong attention. Now she's in the habit of peeing on my family room floor which is a wood floor and it's getting ruined.

I love her but I just can't stand her. Is there any help for me or is she too old to be trained? If she can be trained where do I start? I really just don't know what to do.

Thanks for your time and your help.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/23/08, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st thing I suggest is a family meeting to discuss the future of this dog. She has bitten your child, and the question is going to be will you ever trust her again? If you want to keep her it's going to be a family decision, and a family job. Both you and your husband have to be willing to put in the work.

5 yrs old is not too old to train, but it's going to take a concentrated effort and an entirely new attitude from the humans in the house.

Are you up for it? Are you willing to put in the time ? Are you willing to commit to a serious exercise program for this dog? Are you willing to take the role of leader and send her to the bottom of the pack? Are you willing to treat her like the dog she is, and not a human member of the family?

If so, it can be done. Make the decision, and there are people on here to talk you through it.

If not, find the dog a home. A home where she will be worked.
laurab32

PostPosted: 12/23/08, 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we can get her under control we would want to keep her...what does it mean when you say "send her to the bottom of the pack...and to treat her like a dog and not a human?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/23/08, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday nights, National Geographic Channel.... The Dog Whisperer!
Take the time to watch him, order the tapes, he works with these kinds of dogs all the time.

You and husband are the bosses, the child is next in line, dog is at the bottom of the list. You make the rules, dog follow the rules. Dog doesn't make the rules.

Sounds to me with what you have told us, this dog pretty much decides what she wants, when she wants it, and how she wants you to do it for her?

No more.

No food till she does something to deserve it. Sit, down, stay.
No more dragging you out the door. She sits and waits to be asked to move.
No sniffing, stopping, barking or glaring at the neighborhood dogs. You will teach her to ignore them. Don't avoid it, train her!
No more intimidating guests. She goes on a leash, is taught to sit politely and not move till asked.
She is not to be around your child without supervision. She is not to sit near him while he is eating, she must give him a respectful distance when he is on the floor playing.
She is not in the dining room while you are eating, she stays in another room.

this all takes work and dedication.... you will get frustrated and so will she. But stick with the rules, be patient, but you must be firm. No yelling, no hitting, just decide you are the boss and follow through on what you ask her to do!

Most of all, exercise the paws off of her! A tired GWP is a good GWP. A GWP who does not recieve both mental and physical exercise is a frustrated dog. Take her for at least a 30 minute walk... get her a backpack and fill it up with filled water bottles. Make her work! Get her tired.

Get her out to a field and let her run! All of these things are pretty basic when it comes to this breed, or any breed. Bored dogs are bad dogs!!!!

Ceasar Milan, the Dog Whisperer!!!!!!!!! Google him and start reading.
laurab32

PostPosted: 12/23/08, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched a 47min lecture by the Dog Whisperer and I feel like I actually learned something. She has been the boss of our house, which I never knew...I just thought she was a nut. I definately will be watching and reading and working with CC.

Thanks a lot for your time. I'm going to do everything I can to work with her....She really is a loyal dog.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/24/08, 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you! Stick with it, mean it and save this dogs life.
Wires are a tenacious breed, you have to be smarter then them, have to mean it more than they do, and be determined.

You'll have set backs, and there will be days when you'll wonder why you are bothering, but in the end...... it will be worth it.

Good luck, if you need support... ask away! We've all been through it.

Dual
laurab32

PostPosted: 01/05/09, 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really been working with CC and WOW what a help it's been. I've just been doing basic training with her but it's really helped. First thing I worked on was having her stay out of the kitchen when we are eating...only a day before she knew what "out" meant. She lays in the living room right by the kitchen now which is really nice.

Fortunately she understood what "sit" meant since I have worked with her in the past on a few tricks for a treat. Now instead of following me around EVERYWHERE I've been telling her to "sit" and "stay", takes a few times before she actually does stay, but she's getting the hang of it.

I've also been out in the yard with her trying to get her to fetch but that's not going as well. She sees it, gets it, but she just wants me to run with her and chase her....of course she's way to fast.

I did just work with her on another trick, "five". She sits and I tell her "give me five" with my hand up in the air and she gives me five. That trick only took five minutes for her to learn.

Thanks again for this site....it's really been a help.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 01/07/09, 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's great to hear. This is a breed that can learn lots of things, both good things and bad things. It's really up to you to decide which ones she will learn!

Sounds like you have turned the corner with her and are making new beginning! Keep at it.... you will have an awesome companion down the road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: