German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

No Fat??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/14/03, 9:05 pm    Post subject: No Fat?? Reply with quote

My pup Jake is almost a year old. We have noticed that he is rock solid muscle with absoleutly no fat. Is this normal for GWP? All other dogs we had had some fat, not alot but some. It would seem that GWP's that are used for duck hunting would benefit from having some fat under their skin.
Is this something we should worry about?

Thanks,
Butterfly
cheerio

PostPosted: 06/15/03, 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the line, some dogs will not mature before their 3rd birthday. Most larger breeds will spend their first year growing in heigth, their second year putting on their muscle mass and their 3rd year to finish their adult shape which involves the formation of some fat. However, if you think he is too skiny, a good way to fatten up a dog is to give him a couple of raw whole chicken backs every day. The bones are just fine as long as they are not cooked. Also, feeding them Barf will give them more fat, or raw meat and a cup of raw oat in the morning will do the tric. One of my dogs' favorite is still pablum, cream of wheat or oat cooked with goat milk. They put on weight in no time!
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 06/25/03, 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly, I hope you feel Cheerio answered your question. Sounds on par with my girl. She's 18 mos. We got her out of rescue at 6-7 mos, and she was a scrawny 34 lbs, and 19" at the shoulder. I had two vets tell me that she was more likely 8 mos and probably wouldn't grow up much more, only out.

HA! She's just over 25" at the shoulder now. Shot up like a weed. And she's a whopping 58 lbs now. Not a scrap of fat on her though. Just muscle.

And now that we've gone to raw feeding, she's FINALLY started to put a very thin layer of fat under her skin. She feels great. She's still extremely svelte and lanky, and always will be, but it's nice to feel those extra 2 lbs of fat on her.

I've seen other GWPs at 6 mos to 2 yrs old, and they've all been leggy athletes with not an ounce of fat to spare.

Illona
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/25/03, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Jake Reply with quote

Thanks Illona,

Guess we'll wait and see. My hubby says he's still young and he will fill out. He is so active that maybe he keeps burning his fat off LOL!!. He is 25" tall and weighs 53 lbs. His father was a strapping dog but his Mom was lean. Jake looks alot like her. Solid muscle. I was just concerned. I seem to panic if I think there is anything wrong with him. He's really become my buddy. He's in the house with me all day and out in the field with my husband in the evening. He's a hard worker in the field and afterwards just is exhausted. Of course the heat isn't helping.

Thanks for the info.

Butterfly
Illona
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 06/25/03, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly,

You're gonna have a BIG boy on your hands. Smile Don't worry, he'll fill out soon enough. Now that we've gone to raw feeding, I swear my girl's shot up another 1/2 ". Just seems bigger all the time.

A friend has an 8-mo-old GWP pup. HUGE boned boy. Big head. (My girl's a little under-headed.) And he's all ribs at this stage in the game.

I'm glad you've found such a terrific friend. Matea's with me pretty-much 24-7. I'm a writer, so most of the day she's at my feet ... when she's not running me off of them! She's a fantastic companion and has totally sold me on the breed.

As for the heat... be grateful for it. I sure was happy for the heat last summer when I got this wild 7-mo-old GWP out of rescue! No WAY I could have kept up with her exercise needs at that time in the heat. I loved that it slowed her down. Made our training sessions a little easier.

Illona
Hunters Edge

PostPosted: 07/03/03, 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most breeds as they grow will have cycles were there body catches up so times it will have a little more flab to grow in and a little fat others none but still have the loose skin. What should be a concern is excersize just as a long drawn out hunt will sometimes stop a dog from eating and at the very least cause it to consume less. With this a dog will never get fat and will indeed tire on the hunt. If you notice a young dog not eating as much it could well be the excersize to off set this which has worked for me on older dogs on hunts is simply buy some regular plain yogurt. It is very fat and put one to two tablespoons on their food. Not only will they eat the dogfood finish it up but the added nutrients and fat is essential on a high energy dog. One last piece if the dog is getting a lot of excersize one of the first things is bowel movement before long they are usually runs by adding yogurt it takes care of this and also adds the proper bacteria they need in there digestive track.

I am not sure I would be concerned on a pup but if it was an older dog or even a young dog on a hunt, they need to eat to keep up there strength and this has worked for me in the past, hope the information may be of use to you as well.
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/03/03, 4:39 pm    Post subject: Jake Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. We usually work him in the field every night for about 30 minutes. He does eat really well. I'm beginning to thinkhe runs all his fat off. He's a real go getter and doesn't stop till we tell him to heel. He then knows we are heading for home.
Hope everyone has a terrific Fourth of July.

Butterfly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: