German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

GWP Color phases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free Range

PostPosted: 11/19/08, 9:55 am    Post subject: GWP Color phases Reply with quote

Ok I’m new here and new to GWP, a little back ground first. I have had hunting dogs all my life, beagles, setters, coon dogs, and labs. Right now I have two labs, one a 10 yr old bitch that is the smartest dog I ever owned. I trained her myself, and we did quite a bit of duck hunting in the past. Due to job interference I haven’t been able to bird hunt much in the last 5 years or so and she is a bit too old to start hunting again. The other lab isn’t much more then a house dog, so no hunting with him.

I’ve been wanting to get a pointing dog again, and have narrowed my search down to the GWP, because of the versatility, a little duck hunting every now and then would be good, but my main object would be upland game. I also love the looks of the GWP.

I haven’t really started looking at kennels yet, just a couple on line, and don’t plan on buying until this spring. My first question is what are the color phases in the GWP called, I’ve seen pictures of almost solid liver colored, brown and solid white, brown and white with lots of ticking, blacks, black and white, black white with ticking, some almost look blue. The color I’m most interested in is the black and white with lots of ticking, the ones that almost look blue.

I’m also thinking about joining NAVHDA to step up my training skills and doing the NAVHDA testing (I guess it’s called testing not trials, right). But my main focus will be to produce a good hunting dog. My second question is what should I look for in a breeder, these dogs are not cheap and I don’t want to throw my money away on a dog I won’t be happy with.

I’m a big believer in keeping your bird dog in the house, I think it makes them a better socialized dog, and the little “training” opportunities you get just having them around you all the time makes for easier training in the field.

All advice is welcome.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/19/08, 12:05 pm    Post subject: GWP Color phases Reply with quote

Hi,

Wires come in solid liver, liver & white, liver & roaned and black & white.

I have three wires currently - they are house dogs but I also run them in hunt tests, field trials, confirmation, obedience & agility. They are truly the "can do" dog. My 14 yr old male (my first wire) is still going strong - loves to find birds and just hang with his people. There is a NAVDHA club in Colorado - not sure where they are based.

As far as what to look for in a breeder - just do your homework - there is a breeder referral list on the GWPCA website - ask to see the dogs - there are some good breeders and some not so good (as with any breed).

Hope this helps.

Cathy
dualgwp

PostPosted: 11/19/08, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you begin your search for a breeder, make a list of what is important to you. Be honest, and give this list to the breeders you talk to.

It's helpful for a breeder to know what kind of game you will mostly hunt (grouse vs chuckar, waterfowl or ?) as the style of the dog may be different. Grouse dogs are usually a closer working dog, chuckar dogs may be a bigger running dog.

Find out what game the breeder hunts and ask about the working style of their dogs. Find out if the sire and dam (and farther back) have passed any working tests, or if they trial their dogs.

Always find out about any health clearances on the pedigree, ask about OFA, Thyroid and if the dogs are clear and have paperwork to prove it.

If you are going to look for a black and white, keep in mind if you decide to breed him or her down he road, you should only breed to a liver and white, and NOT to another BW.

Take your time, talk to as many breeders as you can and look at as many dogs as you can. Hunt with them if possible and ask for references.

Going for color alone will limit your choices... so be mindful of that.
Good luck
Dual
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/19/08, 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you put color farther down on your priority list behind temperament, ability, health issues, coat/conformation, etc. There are few black GWP's being bred and the coat pattern you are talking about is rare....it is called "Forellenschimmel" in German and comes in liver and black.
This would be an example, a DD, although this dog does have some black patches.

Free Range

PostPosted: 11/20/08, 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, yes I would put ability before color, but Jon that is one sharp looking dog, is it yours? In the beginning of my search I might as well start with my “perfect” dog and go from there.
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/20/08, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he is not mine...if he were, I'd take a few lbs off him!! He's in Germany...just used the pic as an example...besides the coat is much too short and hard...judges here wouldn't like him Wink
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 11/20/08, 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Nice regal looking dog Jon
And his weight is just fine. Im sure Hes deserving of extra scraps & biscuits!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: