German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Hunting related illness?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Docelli

PostPosted: 10/27/08, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Hunting related illness? Reply with quote

An acquaintance took his dog deer hunting for two days. Apparently they "hunted hard" in the process. They did bag a deer, and allowed the dog to eat the intestines as they field dressed the deer.

Upon coming home, the dog became lethargic and began vomiting. Although the pup is able to eat his regular food, he vomits it .

He seems more thirsty than usual, as well.

The owner pulled many ticks from the pup.

Are there specific diseases associated with the consumption of freshly killed deer?

If the dog were mine, I'd head for the vet. Comments welcome.
jo

PostPosted: 10/28/08, 9:41 am    Post subject: Eating deer intestines Reply with quote

There are no specific diseases that I am aware of from eating deer intestines. I myself would not do it and if I did I would expect my dog to get sick unless it was something that he had incorporated into his normal everyday diet. We have made our dogs unable to tolerate such drastic diet changes by feeding them the same food day after day. They are no longer wild animals that can adjust to gorging themselves one day and then starving for the next week. After hunting that hard and then eating intestines filled with normal bacterial flora your friend should be glad his dog did not bloat. In any case a trip to the vet would be wise if this dog does not start getting better. Also there are many tick borne diseases out there and they seem to be affecting dogs more than ever. Your friend should keep that in mind if the dog starts to get sick again, becomes lame or just seems to be" off". A trip to the vet would also be warranted for that.
Docelli

PostPosted: 10/28/08, 4:45 pm    Post subject: Hunting Illness? Reply with quote

Thank you for your insight. It has been helpful.

Latest word: dog's owner took him to the Emergency clinic. The pup's stomach/intestinal tract was empty, and the pup remains at the clinic.
jo

PostPosted: 10/28/08, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep me posted! I hope for the best for your friend and the dog!
dakotagun

PostPosted: 10/29/08, 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear they sought medical advice - hope it was in time! i'd never heard of allowing a dog to eat intestines - is that regular practice? i hunt just about anything BUT deer, and occasionally come across field-dressed carcasses. i'd never allow my hunting dog to eat the remains of any game, and suppose it never would even cross my mind. just surprised at the notion that others do it. thanks.
Docelli

PostPosted: 11/01/08, 5:45 am    Post subject: Dog is home Reply with quote

The dog is home from the vet. He spent two days on IV's, antibiotics, etc., and is now recuperating on a chicken broth-rice diet for a couple of days in order to gently reintroduce his system to solid food. Small, frequent feedings for a bit. Also has antibiotics to take.

Thank you for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: