German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Advanced Crate Training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hal Ward

PostPosted: 10/22/08, 2:35 pm    Post subject: Advanced Crate Training Reply with quote

My 5 yr old spayed female has developed Houdini characteristics, escaping by opening dead bolts on the house door, working door levers, turning door knobs, and last week lifting the unlatched garage door, as well as moving sliding glass doors. Although crate trained as a pup for house breaking, she hasn't spent much time in the crate since then. I am going to get a larger crate for containment and have already started using the old crate again for her while I am home, leaving the door open. It was quite adequate for a pup, but too small for her adult size for extended periods. I will be fixing the crate so she can't break it down, as that has happened when it was used in the car for transport. It took her about 3 minutes to escape. I would appreciate suggestions as to crate size, and brand for strength and comments from those with similar problems would be appreciated. She trapped herself in the laundry room the other day, and tried to chew through the drywall by the door to get out. The goal is to train her to stay in the crate while we are out for the evening or with the neighbor when we are out of state.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/22/08, 2:40 pm    Post subject: Advanced Crate Training Reply with quote

Hi,

I have had the best luck with wire crates (Midwest). They latch securely and you can also place a snap on them to keep them in. They keep my 65 lb male in. All three of my wires have done great in them.

I bought the biggest one - I believe it is the xtra large - it is 27 inches tall.

Not sure how big your girl is - but I like for them to be able to stretch out and stand up.

Cathy
jo

PostPosted: 10/23/08, 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that Midwest wire crates are the best -we sometimes add some reinforcement by making a wooden top that can double as a shelf/storage for dog related items-if your dog is really an escape artist try adding some spot welds to the corners. Also make a ritual of kenneling-give her a special treat whenever you kennel her and a toy or kong with something special in it(I use "Greenies"-my dogs are addicited_but they only get one when I leave) Start slowly(sounds like that is what you are doing) and do the exact same pattern everytime you leave her in the kennel-never take a dog that is putting up a fuss out of the kennel unless it is in danger and do not yell at a dog crying in the kennel -instead wait until the dog quiets down to take it out and then praise them for being good. Dogs that have separtation anxiety have very little control over it- they need to deal with it and we need to help them by making our departure something good instead of the worst thing that has ever happened to them which is all they are thinking. With a little patience and time she will most likely come around. For future reference if you raise another one have a kennel available to it at all times. I use my dogs kennels as their "safe spot". Each dog has its own kennel and the doors are always open so that they can choose to go in and out as they please. When they are in their kennel no one is allowed to bother them-if you want them you ask them to come out. This works really well if you have small children-when the dog does not want to be bothered it goes in its "safe spot". My dogs love the kennel and actually wait for me to leave in the morning to get their "special treats" even though they go to their kennels to get them and then I leave-the doors are rarely shut( only because my dogs are over 3 now and I can trust them in the house while I am away-as pups and young dogs they were locked in)- I hope this helps. Every dog is a little different so figure out what works for yours. Smile
Hal Ward

PostPosted: 10/23/08, 11:34 am    Post subject: Advanced Crate Training Reply with quote

Thanks for the insightful responses. I will check with Midwest for crates. As I type this, she is sleeping in the crate, door open, as that's where I located her favorite bed. My current crate is 24 in. high inside off the base, 30 in long, and 21 in wide. her head hits the top while standing in her bed, which is about 2 -3 inches thick.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 10/23/08, 11:35 am    Post subject: Advanced Crate Training Reply with quote

Hi,

I too give my dogs "special" treats when they go into their crates. I have special cookie jar with their treats in it. I can leave two of my wires out - the young dog needs to be locked up still.

I also leave their crate doors open - they will go in there and take a nap during the day or when they have had enough.

Cathy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: