German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Hunting instinct?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smokey

PostPosted: 08/18/08, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Hunting instinct? Reply with quote

Smokey is now 5 months and we had a BIG brown cat sitting on my lawn but Smokey did not see or do anything Rolling Eyes
So when is this instinct kicking in?
On the other side when I walk her in the surrounding wilderness here she does have her nose to the ground and finds some squirells to chase.
I am not a hunter but this is suppose to be a hunting dog.
When is she going to be better than the last dog I had,that food oriented lazy Bullmastiff.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/19/08, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see... if she chased the cat and hurt it you would be asking us how to stop her from chasing the cat. Be happy she isn't chasing the cat, and I wouldn't be encouraging her to do so... not if you happen to like the cat!

Believe it or not, these dogs may be born with instincts, however, the owner does have to actually do some work to get those instincts to grow. It would be a great idea for you to join a local GWP club or NAVHDA club nearby and have them help you grow those instincts in the proper direction.

Where do you live? Lets see if we can get you hooked up with some Wire owners out there. Hunter or not, you have a responsibility to this puppy to hone those instincts so she grows into a proper GWP. She deserves that!

Dual
Smokey

PostPosted: 08/20/08, 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smokey and family live on Vancouver Island.
That is North of Seattle on de Canadian side of the border.
We are doing the normal puppy training at the moment.
She is house broken and listens well when I call her.
She also seem to want to do the right thing but it does not always turn out that way.
There are not many german pointers around here and WGP I so far have not seen at all.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/21/08, 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fairly large contingency of Wire owners in the Seatle area. I'd suggest you contact the SeaTac club and see if anyone is close to you. Try contacting Laura Myles....invernesskennels@verizon.net she should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things with Smokey so far....keep it up and she should turn into a great companion for you.

I would suggest you consider doing some hunting training with her, even if you aren't actually a hunter. You will love seeing her do what she was bred to do!
Smokey

PostPosted: 08/21/08, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fortunate to live where I live,here is why.
The developer bought 120 acres and put 6o homes on that around 1980.
Now the other 6o acres are trails and wooded area's.
This land has been put in a company and the 60 home owners are the shareholders of that Co.
It is an interesting concept I have not seen anywhere else.
This in effect gives me 60 acres in wich to walk my dog,more or less private land.
So Smokey is a lucky dog.
geauxwires

PostPosted: 08/25/08, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry! We used to joke that our dog was a broken pointer because he didn't smell, look or do anything that made you think he was bred to hunt. At almost a year old all of a sudden it clicked. We were on a walk and a bird flew in front of him and since then he is a hunting fool! He has one hunting title and we are working on the next one. Remember that males mature slower and that might be what is going on.
Smokey

PostPosted: 08/25/08, 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 5 months I suspect that you are probable right and I shall not worry!
And she chases after little birds and than stands on her hindlegs so she is taller and can see better.
The trouble with cats is that they are always in the neighbours yard and never in there own.
So if the dog would go after them and the deer (counted 5 of them recently) that is OK with me.
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/26/08, 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So if the dog would go after them and the deer (counted 5 of them recently) that is OK with me.

Hi Smokey,

The following may seem odd to you but, here in Minnesota a dog can be shot for chasing deer and the owner can be fined a significant amount if the deer is killed in the process (stress, hit by a car, etc). Most hunters know this but, the greater population of MN is often ignorant of the law. So, just in case, you may want to check to be sure there are no similar laws in your area before encouraging any chasing behaviors.

Good luck with your pup.

Deb
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/26/08, 1:57 pm    Post subject: Bringing out the Instinct Reply with quote

GWP's are dogs created and bred to hunt. However, that "instinct" is genetic. Those genes need to be turned on at a young age to keep them on for their life. Taking a puppy to birds once or twice at a young age will not be enough for some dogs, but enough for others.
Same with swimming.

Once a puppy passes a certain age which is young - likely before 16 weeks, those genes are set for life. Doesn't mean they won't ever hunt, means it will take more work. They have to learn what to do as well, they know birds smell exciting and seeing them may make the dog want to chase them, but what else?

They need bird work to be a bird dog - plain and simple.
Smokey

PostPosted: 08/29/08, 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deer are protected and so are many animals including Seals.
And that is why we have so many.I will post a pic. to show you!
I have only 1 dog and it is not likely to attack anything.
For that you will need a pack of dogs.But it will bark and that is enough to make it go away.
I wish all the deer a long and happy live,just don't eat all the stuff in my garden.You know the Tulip,first it eats the flower then the leafs and last it pulls the bulb out of the ground and eats that too.

And this is when I look up from behind my PC.
seawolff

PostPosted: 11/19/08, 8:27 pm    Post subject: Hunting yet? Reply with quote

Hi, your post is a few months old, now, I'm wondering if you've seen any hunting yet in your pup?
Does she come from hunting lines? I have had to wait for my male to grow a brain...He is now 2 yrs old and he's showing signs of intellingence. He points and even attempts to honor his" older sister's" point...But I do have to teach him. maybe you little girl needs the help of a bird dog trainer...I didn't know how to teach my two without Jim Rice...
Smile
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/20/08, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
GWP's are dogs created and bred to hunt

Would be nice...but you really need to define the word hunt. Dogs that see little beyond the couch and the show ring shouldn't be considered as the best genetic source. Neither should dogs that have a string of titles but little actual hunting experience, beyond the local "chicken farm". IMO, you really learn what you have during the training and real "wild game" experience. Its not the title that matters but how you got there and if a dog can consistently produce wild birds/search out the lost cripple, etc. I've had dogs with titles and big scores that were average hunting dogs. The really good dogs are the ones that handle the difficult birds--the tough retrieve....dogs that point liberated quail in hedgerows haven't proven themselves...but they may...they have made a good start.

Whether the same dog can sit quiet for 3 hours in the duckblind is another topic.

Just my "2 sense".
Smokey

PostPosted: 11/20/08, 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been here for a while but Smokey is doing fine.
I have had her fixed since.
After the operation she has turned into a big eater.
I fail to see how that can have anything to do with it!
She races around the surrounding wilderness.
Her belly is usually scraped and bruised.
She also stands up on her hind leggs from time to time to see what is going on.
So far she did not bring me anything back dead or alive and she has not been rolling around in dead animals.
My previous Bullmastiff was always looking for something dead to roll around in and the stink is unbearable.
All in all Smokey has a lot of fun and her energy is taken care of for the rest it is just my companion and pet.

seawolff

PostPosted: 11/20/08, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear Smokey is having fun at life. The top picture looks like she's being a pointer...
She looks great !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: