German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

new puppy on the way!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 05/20/03, 10:31 am    Post subject: new puppy on the way! Reply with quote

Hello to all! My husband and I are new to GWP's and have been reading with interest all the posts.

We have owned labs, goldens and most recently west highland white terriers that I work in tracking and agility. With the labs and goldens we did obedience.

My husband now has the time to get back into hunting which years ago he loved to do. He is also very interested in doing field trials. We have found the GWP to be the type of dog that will fit the bill for him and also be good for our 21 yr old son to work with as he has asthma and the coats on these dogs are similar to the westies which don't seem to bother him.

We have done quite a bit of research on this breed and are excited to be getting a little boy out of a litter born May 8.

My question to you would be regarding timing of bringing him home. My husband has read that 49 days is the ideal day to acquire a new puppy. The problem lies with the fact that this falls right in the middle of our week long vacation at our cabin. This leaves the options of picking him up the week-end before and taking him with us or waiting til we get home the week-end after the 49th day and then picking him up.

My husband is leaning toward the week-end before as we want to do everything right with this puppy, but I don't want to stress the little guy out by having him be at our cabin for a week and adjusting there only to be brought back home with us and having to re-adjust.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! Ann
Tony
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/20/03, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait until you got back from vacation to pick up the pup. Don't worry about the 49-day thing, a few days won't make a bit of difference. I'm sure you will enjoy your vacation better by getting a full nights sleep without a howling puppy.
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 05/21/03, 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Tony! We better take advantage of the rest! Thanks!
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/21/03, 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe in any magical time to pick up your puppy.
cheerio

PostPosted: 05/21/03, 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that the best time to bring a pup home is after 8 weeks and before 5 months. This should give you plenty of time to enjoy your vacation! And I agree, take your vacation before bringing this little fury friend home. It will be better for you, and also better for the pup who will much prefer finding a stable environement as soon as he lives Mom and his litter mates
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 05/22/03, 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cheerio! I agree it will be better for him to come home and settle in at our house without having to be uprooted again. And we will get that much needed vacation before the fun starts! Smile

As far as stable environment, well, I'm not sure how stable our house is. He will be coming home to three new siblings in the form of westies! It will be wild for a bit but I think we are going to have lots of fun! And I know our youngest westie will enjoy having a little brother so he's not the one always getting picked on!

Ann
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 05/22/03, 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, picking up pups later than 10-11 weeks of age starts to complicate the re-entry into the new household. I think the point is to bring in the new pup BEFORE the pack focus has had a chance to set in. Personally, I would avoid bringing in 4-5 month old pups - just throughs another obstacle in the training and acclimation.
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/22/03, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ann -

Three westies and a GWP? You're going to have a lively household for awhile but it should be fun.

This would be a few months off but just in case you or your husband is interested, the MN NAVHDA (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Assoc.)chapter has an obedience class each winter that is specifically designed around pointing dogs - if you'd like more information let me know. If you lack experience training a pointing dog for hunting it's a good group to get involved with - they have field and water training sessions on a weekly basis all summer long at 2-3 sites around the Metro area. It can be nice to have some help with gun dog training or just have a place to go to train. It's kind of hard to do much in the city.

The Minnesota GWPCA will be having their hunt test in June, it's held in Wisconsin but not too far over the border maybe 45 minutes from Minneapolis. We can get you directions if you'd like to come out and watch some GWPs out in the field.

Are you going to run your Westies this weekend at the agility trial out in Bloomington? If you are -- good luck!

Deb
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 05/22/03, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deb -

I just signed my husband up with a NAVHDA membership as an early Father's Day gift! I'd love to get more info though on their winter obedience classes for pointing dogs in Minnesota. Since he will be our first pointer the more info we can get the better.

How do we go about finding when and where the weekly field and water training sessions are being held? I think this would be a great resource also. I do a lot of tracking with my dogs and am aware of quite a few large acreages to train on in our area (south metro suburb) but not sure what will be necessary as far as hunt training.

I'd also love to get info on the GWPCA hunt test in June - in fact we'd be interested in joining the Minnesota chapter if at all possible. But in the meantime it would be great fun to see the GWP's in action!

Won't be running agility this week-end as we are still novices at it! I just started last August with my female and she is close but not quite ready. My two boys are currently working tracking exclusively. One is too young yet for agility and the other is concentrating on working toward his VST title.

Are you running in the agility trial this week-end?

Ann
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/22/03, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ann,

We'd love to have you join the Twin Cities GWPCA. If you send me a private message with your address I'll send you a copy of our most recent newsletter and an application for the club. You've missed the specialty and field trial's for our club this year but, as mentioned, the hunt test is coming up in a couple of weeks. I'll try to get the directions to the test site for you soon. If your husband is interested in field trialing this will be a good group to get involved with.

As for NAVHDA information - did you join the International group or our local Minnesota chapter? If you didn't join our local group you can go to the web site - www.mnnavhda.com -to see what were doing and keep abreast of tests, training sessions, and the obedience class. There is a test coming up in June (7th & 8th?) if you'd be interested in seeing how they are run. Out at Kelly farms (the test site) you can generally get a good view of whats happening for each phase of the test. The directions to the grounds will be on the web site. There's also all the information about the assorted training sites the chapter has set up.. since we're in Eagan we go out to the New Richmond, WI grounds, if you're in the Chaska, Eden Prairie area the Glencoe grounds would be easiest for you to get to.

You're in a good area to own a GWP, the Minnesota/Wisconsin area has a lot of breeders and owners that participate strongly in all venue's - although you would be the first AKC tracking participant that I know of.

No, I'm not going to run a dog in the agility trial this weekend either but I may go out to watch for awhile on Sunday. A few people from my class should be running and I'd like to see how they do.

Sorry, I guess this has gotten to be a bit long but there are a lot of good resources around the Twin Cities area for a new GWP owner and that first wirehair is going to be a lot more fun if you are aware of them.

Deb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: