German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Raw food

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
optprime

PostPosted: 07/09/08, 10:29 am    Post subject: Raw food Reply with quote

I have read much on-line on raw food diets. Consistently raw meat and raw bones are suggested. Any raw bones because cooking hardens and makes the bones more brittle. Has any one ever had any problems feeding their dogs raw bones?
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/09/08, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Raw food Reply with quote

Hi,

All three of my wires are on raw. They get chicken necks, backs and wings. You cannot feed them any type of weight bearing bones (too hard). I have been known to buy a turkey and grind the entire thing up for them - they love fresh ground turkey (bones and all).

Cathy
optprime

PostPosted: 07/10/08, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply I've started to give my boy some raw meat. His stool is very small and mucousy. Is this typical?
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/10/08, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Raw food Reply with quote

Hi,

You will notice that his stools are going to be smaller - not so much waste for the body to get rid of. A little mucous in the beginning is normal.

You will know if you give him too much bone - his stools will be white.

Cathy
optprime

PostPosted: 07/11/08, 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/17/08, 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK to feed the weight bearing bones of such animals as chicken, turkey and rabbit. The only ones you want to stay away from are large animals such as beef and then only because they can break teeth. My two get chicken quarters, pork ribs and roasts, turkey necks legs and wings along with chicken necks (like an appetizer for them!), and chicken backs. They also get a lot of cheap ground beef, eggs (with shell), dehydrated smelt, canned mackeral and I just put in my first order of green tripe. They get liver, gizzards and hearts each week. And we have just begun to explore all the different meats they can eat. I'm hoping for some venison for them this fall.

I've been feeding 2 GWP's and 3 westies this diet since early spring and have to say it's easy once you get used to it and definitely good for the dogs. They thoroughly enjoy every meal!

You should check the internet though for sites to help you know what variety and what amounts to feed your dog. Typically it's 2-3% of their adult weight and 80% meat, 10% organ and 10% bone. Yahoo has some really informative raw food e-mail groups that made our transition real easy. In fact we just started cold turkey with very few problems.

Ann
kitkin

PostPosted: 07/19/08, 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that chicken, turkey, etc. bones was bad to feed to your dog. I have always been told that they could splinter. Possibly puncture into the dogs stomach. Have I been told wrong? or are these bones ground up?
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/19/08, 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those bones only splinter if they are cooked. Uncooked they are soft and the dogs digestive system disposes of them easily and obtains lots of nutrients from them.

I guess what finally allowed me to wrap my head around the raw diet was thinking of it a little differently than I had been. I too thought these bones were "killer". Then I joined a group that has over 10,000 members that feed raw and realized everything I thought about it was wrong. I realized our dogs are not a whole lot different than wolves in the wild who do NOT eat kibble and who do NOT eat cooked food. They eat raw and they thrive. AND they are CARNIVORES, not omnivores as some woule believe. All you have to do is look at their teeth. They are meant for ripping and tearing food, not grinding or chewing plant food. Even their digestive system is built for meat and bones. It's shorter and they have more powerful digestive juices to break down bone, not plants.

The concept that I was able to wrap my head around was the prey model diet that mimic what an animal in the wild would eat...over time. That includes most every part of the prey's body. Some things I have yet to feed and may never, but I can give them enough balance to be sure they are getting all the nutrition they need - and naturally rather than artificial means such as kibble.

When I first started, my husband did not believe in it. But I asked him how he would feel if he ate a bowl of cereal for each meal his entire life. Yes, he could get all he needed nutritionally out of it but just how healthy is it really?

My dogs have way less stools and MUCH smaller ones since they've been on this diet. What that tells me is that their bodies are utilizing almost all of the food they are eating rather than it passing through as just filler like kibble.

My dogs have a new found LOVE for eating now and it is a joy to see them this way. And they are all very lean and muscular - yes, even my westies look great physically - who thought THEY could look buff!!! LOL!

Ann
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/21/08, 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ann,

Where are you getting your raw food at - Chuck & Don's or somewhere else? I've been thinking about putting Oakley on raw lately.

Thanks,
Deb
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/21/08, 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deb - I get my dogs food from the grocery store and from a raw buyers group. The only time I've used the premade raw was when I first started (and then only for a week) and then when we go out of town because it is easier to pack.

About a month after I started I joined MNraw Buyers Group who buys butcher store human grade meat at discounted group prices. I was able to get a lot through them and then just supplement what I have left with grocery store sales. Rainbow Foods has some good sales on their meat.

You learn after a while to shop the sales for the main part. Through the buyers group I can get meat at less than $1 a lb and I try to stay under $1.50 lb at the grocery store.

They eat chicken leg quarters, turkey legs, wings and thighs, pork ribs, raw eggs (with shells), liver, turkey and chicken necks, ground beef, goat, smelt, mackeral and salmon and other things I can't think of at the moment.

It's all about variety over time in order for them to get the nutrients. One HUGE plus has been how their teeth have cleaned up and how their breath no longer smells.

The diet is not tough to do!

Ann
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/21/08, 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One HUGE plus has been how their teeth have cleaned up and how their breath no longer smells.

Now I'm sold for sure. She's been having tooth problems (probably in part due to all her meds) if this helps keep them clean & healthy it would save us a lot of money in dental care and, more importantly, less stress on her.

Thanks,
Deb
DevataGWP
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/26/08, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Raw Diet supplies in Minnesota Reply with quote

I've fed a raw diet about 17 years - well before it was popular. In the Twin Cities, there are two wholesalers that supply food to people who feed a raw diet.

There is a Yahoo group that has the information necessary to purchase from either supplier.

I can list that if anyone is interested.
gwp4ever

PostPosted: 03/26/09, 4:11 pm    Post subject: Raw food Reply with quote

I feed my dogs raw chicken bones- even the young pups- 4 months old- no problem. Also it seemed to clean the teeth of the older adults- I canceled the dental cleaning appointment at the vet's after feeding bones. I have several friends who feed raw, too. We alternate raw with premium dog food, about 3 days of raw (BARF) diet each week max for our dogs. I do know people who feed all raw meat with raw or steamed veggies and fruit with good results. Cooked bones are dangerous, though- as they get brittle. Good luck to you!!
Eric
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/06/09, 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently put my boy on this raw diet and he has really thrived on it. I was wondering if he should also be getting more carbs (ie brown rice) as I know low carb/ high protein diets are very hard on the liver of humans. tks - Eric
yuanyelss

PostPosted: 01/24/11, 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will notice that his stools are going to be smaller - not so much waste for the body to get rid of. A little mucous in the beginning is normal......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: