German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Looking for help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeK

PostPosted: 05/15/03, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Looking for help Reply with quote

I have a 9 month old and trying to train but he is so hard headed that it doesn't seem that I am getting any where. Is there any truth to the shock collar? I would like some tips on training. It seems that he is off in his own little world and not looking to me. I have a lab that took no effort to train. Please give ideas.

Thanks, joeK.
Keith
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/16/03, 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6 months old pup and a 2 year old dog. So far I have not used a shock collar on this new pup who is real easy to train and naturally obedient. He will probably never need the collar. At your pups age my 2 year old was a live wire. I couldn't have trained her without the shock collar. She has since mellowed some but I still let her run with the collar most of the time. They can be miracle workers for unruly pups. Since using the collar to reinforce known commands we are both happier. I would like to add that there is a big difference between breeds. Pointing dogs are by nature more independent. Be careful in your training not to take any of the fire and desire out of the dog. You will like that when you are out hunting. What you want is the perfect combination of independence with cooperation.

Last edited by Keith on 05/16/03, 9:35 am; edited 2 times in total
J Shelton
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/16/03, 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel I did pretty extensive research on the e-collar before I got it and could not be more pleased with the results. Our dog has done a complete turn around. She has worn it for about 4 months, but the last month or 2 I have rarely had to actually "stimulate" her and can see that I probably won't need it down the road, although I may keep in for the "just in case" scenarios.
I mainly needed it for recall but have used it for other known commands as well.
Do your research and learn about how to use them correctly and should help w/your training.
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 05/16/03, 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend getting some experienced assistance if you've never used one before. I recently had a pup come back to me that was ruined by a person's first attempt at training with an e-collar. Poor dog had been burned so bad that just the sight of an e-collar was enough to send him screaming into a crate.

They are very powerful tools and in the right hands a terrific training aid.. however in the wrong hands they can really mess up a dog.
Brandon Ward

PostPosted: 05/17/03, 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to rent or buy a few videos first like George Hickox training pointing dogs or any of the tritronics videos. Some might tell you that the pup is a bit young for the ecollar as my pup is 11 mos. and I just ordered a Tritronics pro 100. So watch a few videos and remember that with a pointing dog your going to need a continious stimulation not momentary for training purposes a collar with both works,you can use the cont now and momentary later for reminders. A good start is using the kennel command. start by getting your dog used to the kennel command once the dog knows the command start using the ecollar on the lowest cont setting saying kennel, stimulation (continious) holding the button down until the dog kennels then releasing the stimulation so the dog learns to turn off the stimulation when he obeys commands. also check out the Dobbs training site on the web its a great resource. good luck. Brandon.also have the dog used to wearing the ecollar dont put it on him the first day and zap him with it.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 05/17/03, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again, we have a 9 month old PUPPY that is giving trouble!
Please keep in mind that a puppy of this age is a puppy, similar to a 12 yrs old boy. He thinks he knows better than you do, and your job is to gently remind him you are the boss and YOU know better.

Two things, I am a firm believer in using the collar as a training device, but only when the puppy knows full well what he is supposed to do. A 9 mos. old will challenge you, and a LIGHT tap with a collar may help remind him of what he is supposed to do. But,... and it's a big but!... if you have any doubt at all that the puppy does not have full understanding of what it should do... don't use it.

Back up, make sure each and every command is being followed while on a long line or check cord. If that's true, well, then he knows better. If you need to correct him with the line, then better to go backward a bit, take your time and make sure he understands. If he is just being willful, that's another story.

I run every puppy with the collar on them, (just to get them used to it being on there.... it's just part of the pre run routine) but never use it till I am absolutely sure the puppy knows what I am asking it to do.

Be patient.... be calm (not easy) but be sure, before you hit that button!
cheerio

PostPosted: 05/21/03, 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in total aggreement with bbadmin and dualgwp on this one. Remember that your pup is a pup. My very first question to you is this: Did you put your dog through obedience classes? If not, forget the collar and start by training your dog in a class setting with a good trainer. If you did, then I would recomand that you speak with your trainer and ask him for advise and perhaps help in using that shock collar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: