German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Avoiding Dangerous Veterinarians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kris L. Christine
Master
Master

PostPosted: 06/25/08, 7:19 am    Post subject: Avoiding Dangerous Veterinarians Reply with quote

"Avoiding Dangerous Veterinarians" by Jan Rasmussen, award-winning author http://www.dogs4dogs.com:80/vet .
www.RabiesChallengeFund.org
optprime

PostPosted: 06/25/08, 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went to a new vet with my pup who had developed a rash. The vet recommended an antibiotic which I thought was odd because a rash is typically an allergic reaction and to my knowledge should not be treated with an antibiotic especially since antibiotics are non specific and kill all bacteria good and bad. So I questioned her about her recommendation and she said that she saw some "white heads" on some of the rash spots. She hadn't even put the dog on the table and examined him or his rash carefully. So I put my dog on the table had him lay down and examined him myself right in front of her and told her I had not seen any "white heads" which she thought might be signs of infection. She said sometimes there are hard to find, maybe, but I had been watching this rash for a few days now and it seemed she was just back pedaling now. All this was going on after she had handed me the prescription drugs for my dog. She then told me I could risk it and just give him some benedryl and hope it passed. After handing her drugs back to her I let her know I was going to go with the benedryl. I did this and he cleared up in a day.
The thing that really irked me was that she didn't even put him up on the table to examine him. I don't claim to know more than a vet who has gone to school and study animals and diagnosis for 4 yrs. but sometimes things smell a little too fishy for me.
Kris L. Christine
Master
Master

PostPosted: 06/27/08, 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are certainly a good advocate for your dog! It certainly doesn't hurt to ask questions.

Personally, I think the advice to check to see if there is a vet tech or someone who stays with surgical patients left over night in a clinic is excellent. A friend of mine had her scotty neutered and the vet insisted that it stay overnight. No staff was on-hand during the night and there was a violent thunderstorm (her dog, goes wild over loud sounds) and tore out all the stitches and was a mess the next day.

Some dog owners are unaware that veterinary clinics do not have 24/7 staffing and that when they leave their animals overnight after surgery, there may not be anyone in the clinic to tend to them if they have a problem.
www.RabiesChallengeFund.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: