German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

training new pup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
givem3

PostPosted: 06/06/08, 2:07 pm    Post subject: training new pup Reply with quote

I will be getting a male GWP fathers day weekend and was wondering what the best training books are?

I will be using it for both pheasant and waterfowl hunitng. I have trained several pointers but am nervous about working the waterfowl side of things. any input would be great! thanks
dualgwp

PostPosted: 06/06/08, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I can give, is read whatever you can, see what fits both you and your dog, and go from there.

As a puppy, you are getting him at the best time of the year to promote a love of water. It will be hot soon, get him out, run his little butt of, and take him to water. Let him investigate, let him swim, let him play in the water.

Usually, once a Wire decides water is second nature to them, it's tough to keep them out. Just make it fun and happy while he is a little guy.

Toss some sticks, as he grows make it bumpers, then you can progress from there. Feed his natural retrieve instincts. But keep it short, remember he is a baby... keep him wanting more. Quit before he gets tired or bored of the game.

When he is older you can work on serious retrieves, marked retrieves, blind retrieves.... whatever suits you and your pup.

For now, have fun!
Repoman

PostPosted: 06/07/08, 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pup should be introduced to water as soon as possible. Don't fall for this temperature nonsense. Dogs are not worried about temperature. The sooner the dog is introduced to water and realizes water is just part of it's world the better. April 14 this year the new 7 month old pup (black) finally went into the water on his own. We hung around the open water we had for about a week.(Notice receding ice) The older dog just kept going in the H20 until finally the young one took the plunge too. Cool Now he is constantly in the H20.

After all if you really hunt the dog.......what do you think the water temperature is in late season duck hunting? Rolling Eyes
The young dog in photos is shown on its first day in the water.

Last edited by Repoman on 06/08/08, 5:17 pm; edited 5 times in total
dualgwp

PostPosted: 06/08/08, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temperature nonsense? What does that mean?
givem3

PostPosted: 06/09/08, 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone ever used the book "training the versitile gun dog" pretty sure thats the name. think it has a few GWPs on the front?
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/05/09, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be looking for The Training and care of the Versatile Hunting Dog by Sigbot Winterhely and Edward D. Bailey, published by NAVHDA or training the Sporting Dog By Donald Smith and Ervin E. Jones published by the American Hunting Dog Club, Inc. ISBN 0-9664759-2-5
Rhonda
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/08/09, 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several books out there....interpretation is the key.

I would recommend finding a trainer, a NAVHDA club, and join your local GWP club and visit with the members. Anyone that is doing any sort of competitive hunting events will most likely be willing to help you get your dog off to a good start.

You will be bombarded with many opinions, theories and methods. Pay attention to all of them, listen kindly, ask questions when needed and then use what works for you and your dog.

Bird exposure is key. Many, many, many birds.

(And, if I were a youngun' just being introduced to water, I would be more likely to enjoy it if it wasn't going to freeze my brain when I entered it! Just my .02)
york_rotch

PostPosted: 02/09/09, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dualgwp wrote:
Temperature nonsense? What does that mean?

I believe what he meant was...

Rhonda wrote:
(And, if I were a youngun' just being introduced to water, I would be more likely to enjoy it if it wasn't going to freeze my brain when I entered it! Just my .02)

VCbirddog

PostPosted: 02/16/09, 9:59 am    Post subject: Getting a GWP introduced in to the water Reply with quote

The recommendation on the books was very good. I have both. You have all summer to get the dog introduced to water so don't, force it Just take your new GWP for a walk in the bush and whenever you get a chance , cross as many streams and puddles as you can, don't slow down! and don't look back! Just keep this up for a few weeks and you will have a Gwp puppy that thinks walking and swimming are both fun and just a part of going out and having a good time with you.
Sugar70

PostPosted: 12/22/10, 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be bombarded with many opinions, theories and methods.
Pay attention to all of them, listen kindly, ask questions when needed
and then use what works for you and your dog.
Thanks,,,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: