German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Lost GSP at AKC Gun Dog Championships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/12/08, 7:43 pm    Post subject: Lost GSP at AKC Gun Dog Championships Reply with quote

Oh the irony..Did this dog place?

e-mail:

I am a client of Dave LaChance's from California and was out at the AKC Gun Dog Championships in Reno last week. One of Dave's GSP's went missing and was hoping you could post it on the BB.

GSP, female, liver and white- lost on May 3 during the Gun Dog
Championships in Reno! Had collar with phone number and tracking collar on when lost. If anyone has any information on her whereabouts, please contact Dave LaChance at DV4248@aol.com

Those who live in that area maybe could keep an eye out for her? Thanks!!!!!!!
dualgwp

PostPosted: 05/14/08, 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, did not finish, much less place!
Dog was returned to camp about 4 days later all safe and sound.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/15/08, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is good news!

And I couldnt help but laugh in reading it.
Not thats its funny to lose a dog
But I have never lost one hunting. Any dog

Left the gate open on occasion & dogs go to neighbors to play with their dogs or steal their doggie toys, sometimes I remember leaving open the gate, I freak out & go outside and dog iw waiting at the back door for me, the entire time.

It would be interesting to see if a dog has ever run off or been lost at a NAVHDA or VDD type event.
My money would bet not.
GWPnovice

PostPosted: 05/15/08, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I have not "lost" my dog hunting, although there was one time where we were grouse hunting and he took off chasing either a deer or fox. He was young, and it scared the life out of me, he was only gone for an hour, but I was panicing.

If I'm outside, he's by my side. If I'm inside and he's outside, he'll sit on the porch for hours waiting for me. When in the house, he's in every room I'm in, or he's whining at the door! Don't know why that dog likes me so much!
optprime

PostPosted: 06/20/08, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one thing that makes a huge difference is whether or not the dog is a "family" dog as well as a hunting companion. Dogs that spend their entire lives in the kennel with little human interaction except hunting season and maybe some field trials jump at the chance for freedom (run-off dogs). I would too, it is the smart thing to do in that situation. On the otherhand a dog that knows that it can have that freedom and enjoy interaction with it's family (pack) at the same time has everything it needs why would it go looking elsewhere. Some dogs run wider than others but a dog that enjoys the companionship of its handler will never become a run-off dog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: