German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Biting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Attack

PostPosted: 04/08/08, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Biting Reply with quote

I am new to this. I have a male GWP about 4 years old. We rescued him from our local pound when he was 6-7 mos old. He is a great dog. The problem is about 6 mos ago a boy came to the door that our dog had met once or twice. My boys were standing in the doorway talking and this boy bent down and was making wierd noises at the dog and getting in his face close to the dog. All of a sudden Jack just jumped up and bit the boy and then ran back in the house. That was the first time in 3 plus years that we have had Jack that he has ever been agressive. The problem is now he is growling at certain people and biting them. He has not broken the skin. It seems he is scared when he does it and it usually happens at the entrance of our home or when someone enters our RV that we travel in alot. I cannot trust anyone in our house or RV that Jack doesn't know super well. What do I do? He was always so loving and trust worthy around everyone. We love this dog and want to get another but we travel alot and are around new people all the time. Any suggestions?
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 04/09/08, 11:50 am    Post subject: Biting Reply with quote

Hi,

Sounds like your dog is becoming a 'fear biter'. The only thing you can do is watch him - does he know any obedience commands? If so, make him do a down stay when people come over.

I have three wires of my own. One is 13 yrs old male and when he was younger, who had to watch him around strangers even though he was a show dog at home he was different. My next one is a female and she is 6 yrs old - I put her in her crate when strangers come since she will charge at them. My last one is 16 months old and has never met a stranger!

All you can do is be watchful since he seems to be developing a pattern.

Good Luck
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/09/08, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt sound fear based, imo
Just assertive, territorial &/or dominance related.
He doesnt want to be bothered, teased or have "his" territory invaded.
The Breed Standard says "ALOOF"

The definition of Aloof is... "Not friendly & stand offish" & can even mean Aggressive.
For your dogs sake & those of others, dont allow him around strangers. Dont trust him around strangers, kids or adults.
Teach him "PLACE" which means Your Safe Spot ie Fireplace, next to couch & is a long down, hours even. Where no one approaches, & he doesnt move

I dont like or allow anyone touching my dog (unless I permit), generally I dont allow it as I like a guardian of my home & Car.
If I wanted a lap dog, Id own another breed. I dont. I want a serious hunting dog that will protect & be territorial.
Thats what the breed founders designed.

You cant change genetics. You can shut them down but I dont advise this with your dog.
He is YOUR dog. Keep it that way. Take a crate with you when traveling.
Crate or confine around strangers is my .02c
Repoman

PostPosted: 04/09/08, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He came from the pound, there was a reason the dog was there. This is not unexpected. As far as whiskerddog1's advice goes....... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/09/08, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repoman...
You obviously know nothing of the breed or standard as designed by its founders, so here it goes.

ALOOF-adjective
Not friendly, sociable, or warm in manner

16th AKC Breed Standard-1979, pg 63
"the dog has been described as energetic, rather Aloof but not unfriendly."

A Strong Dominant DD or GWP being territorial..would not be viewed BY Me, as any kind of a fault. But rather would be praised.
Some of the earlier imports were quite Hard & Sharp.
Problem is, that many American idiots dont know how to train a real dog or deal with a hard charging or territorial dog, such as this. Alas, Breeders here tend to screw up about every breed they touch, in every breed, we have bred in this country.
Yes, its a pound dog, but sounds like a great dog.

Ive trained my Drahthaar Bitch to Alert AND Bite On command. And will guard my home & truck, with the best of them.
Same dog is an excellent family dog with 3 children under the age of Six. Absolutely reliable.
But I use common sense. I crate or order PLACE, with any strangers in my home.
Repoman

PostPosted: 04/09/08, 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloof......is not man sharp. Get a clue. The GWP/DD is not to be man sharp, that is a misuse of the term. The dog is to be sharp on predators/vermin, not man. That is a fault. Now if you have to order your dog to a place when strangers are around, for fear it may take a chunk out of someone, it is mentally unstable. It is that simple.

It is like having a loaded revolver laying on the coffee table. Rolling Eyes
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/10/08, 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong

In Germany, up until a few decades ago, many breeds, including Weimaraners & Drahthaars, had Temperment tests.
These often included a Test of a Threat to a dogs handler, &/or included a Circle test.
The dog was expected to show courage & ability to perceive & Protect from a Threat. There were degrees of judging in response to the threat. Weak dogs were

This test was performed as Poachers were a sometimes problem & could pose a threat to hunters or steal game.
Stable dogs were required. The best Protection dogs are Stable, Not vicious.
Earliest German Drahthaar (Wirehair) Imports were often Muzzled. They were friendly dogs, but to their owners. That is the standard.

Aloof Means "NOT FRIENDLY."
A young child getting in a dogs face, making noises & Staring him down, is a perceived Threat to a dog.
I, as the dogs owner, WOULD NEVER allow this. EVER. Unless you have deep pockets & good attorneys.

ANY DOG can be made SHARP. ANY
Sharp is quite different from a dog acting defensively, being territorial or being vicious.

My Draht is a family dog, a house dog & Kept in the house to protect my home. I order "place" or crate to avoid strange children putting my dog in an awkward position, or having sudden movements from strangers being perceived as a threat by the dog.

FYI Breed Standard for German Shepherd (The Greatest working dog in the world) is this, no mention of Man Sharpness..
"The German Shepherd Dog must be, in its essential image, well-balanced, firm in nerves, self-confident, absolutely calm and impartial, and (except in tempting situations) amiable."

This is applicable to any working dog. Notice emphasis on balance & Nerve.
Learn about Drahthaar & Weimaraner history, Dog Protection work & Biting & then get back to me.

Oh-and Yes, in addition to a biting dog, I keep loaded guns in my house. One in every room, in fact. AUG, SKS, AK 47, Glock, S&Ws, Makarov & Shotguns with turkey loads.
Repoman

PostPosted: 04/10/08, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah,blah,blah,.......... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You don't get it, and never will...... Crying or Very sad
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/10/08, 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh contraire.

Repoman

PostPosted: 04/10/08, 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said.....you don't get, and never will.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/10/08, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that a young child Making strange noises in ANY dogs face, staring him down... can easily be perceived BY that dog, as a Threat or a challenge.
I get that some dogs are aloof, & dont take kindly to outsiders or strangers. More so with pound dogs. It doesnt make them unstable or faulty necessarily.

I also get that biting work should only be performed by a Stable dog.
I work with such dogs on a regular & Weekly basis, including my own

Study the history of the German Founders of the Drahthaar & The Weimaraner, & you may get a different persepective

American Owners, by & large, are an Ignorant lot & Dont understand dog drives, aggression, behavior & our lack of such & our inexhaustible attempts to mass produce.. crap, result in quality control nightmares.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/10/08, 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the Poster...This is a Direct Challenge perceived by My Dog & Any dog for that matter. Notice the Decoys Posture. Full on, Stare down, crouch, hissing/yelling. ie possible threat.
A dominant & Stable dog will not & should not tolerate this or Hide. Dog doesnt back away & fear bites, but stands their ground & will take on the threat.

Not to say that a biting dog cannot be social or lick childrens faces
Below-#2, is same dog eating with my then 2 yr old, playing in & around her bowl & Toys. This is a bit complicated, but bottom line- nothing is wrong with your dog. Just be responsible is my .02c

Repoman

PostPosted: 04/10/08, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little photo expo which proves nothing.....some don't get it, and never will. Confused

Quote:
American Owners, by & large, are an Ignorant lot & Dont understand dog drives, aggression, behavior & our lack of such & our inexhaustible attempts to mass produce.. crap, result in quality control nightmares.

But I will agree with on your above quote.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 04/10/08, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Photo is a Great visual of how exactly, an agitator Works a dog.

Notice he is called an agitator, enlisted to Evoke a Response from the dog
A desired response..in this case a Bite
How? By Doing exactly what provoked the dog in this topic.

A Stare down, a physical confrontation just by body language, sounds & perceptions..its intricate & too much for many (including you Repoman) to comprehend

I wont attempt to ask you to understand it, because you never will
My last comment stands, & is applicable to those like you

Close minded, irrational, quick to disregard facts, canine behaviors & truths
Youd rather she throw out the dog, put it down & call it a "Pound dog" & a liability, when its anything but the case

I do hope others might have gotten some value from the photos I have many, but the hardest part is often explaining the intracacies of posture & behavior
Again, your dog is fine, just be responsbile. No children in his face & be wary of some strangers..
Repoman

PostPosted: 04/10/08, 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.....I do hope others might have gotten some value from the photos .....

Well I have learned from your last photo that you do allow dogs to beg from the table. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: