German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Water Intoduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/24/03, 6:36 pm    Post subject: Water Intoduction Reply with quote

My pup isn't afraid of the water but he doesnt like it much deeper than his stomach. Got him to where he couldnt touch bottom and his butt sinks and his front feet slap the water. I cant get him to go deep gradually, he turns and runs out. He's 18 weeks so I'm not pushing it. He loves to run shallow and splash around but has no intrest in being boyant.
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/24/03, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyser,

That is fairly normal. Most pups are leery about leaving their feet for the first time.

Here is a trick that has worked very well for me. I’ll take a pup down to the lake with a couple of older dogs that love to retrieve from water. I let the pup get busy playing with the older dogs. When the pup is fully engrossed in play, I bring out the retrieving dummies, and throw them in the water. The older dogs will immediately stop playing with the pup, and swim out for the retrieve. The pup will run to the edge in an attempt to keep up with his playmates, but will probably refuse to enter the water. I say nothing to encourage the pup to go. When the other dogs return, I heap the praise on them for making the retrieve (actually I over do it for the pup’s benefit). However, I ignored the pup completely. Then, I throw the dummies again. I keep repeating throwing the dummies, praising the other dogs, and ignoring the pup. Each time, the pup will usually run out a little farther into the water. Finally, the pup won’t be able to take being left out of the fun any longer, and will take the plunge and begin to swim. Once he does, put the older dogs away, and do 2 – 3 short retrieves with the pup. Each time he goes out really heap on the praise as he swims out and when he returned with the dummy. I’ve used this technique several times with my pups and other people’s pups, and it has worked in every case. Hope this helps.
KYSER
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/26/03, 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about doing that with my lab who is 13 1/2 years ol but she is so big and her coat holds so much water I hate to put her in my truck when she has been swimming. She takes forever to dry. I love the wirehair, towel dries in a flash. Mabey I'll borrow the wifes car.....
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/26/03, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better yet, find a buddy with dogs that swim, and let him have the wet car! Laughing
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/29/03, 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you got some great ideas there.

One thing I did with Riley as a puppy was bobbing for hot dogs. Cut up hot dogs into small pieces and fill up the kiddy pool or even a large tupperware container. Put enough water in the the pup has to submerge his nose to get the hot dogs. Gradually make the water deeper. Not sure if it makes a huge difference but it is a ton of fun and doesn't hurt.
cheerio

PostPosted: 07/29/03, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too use this method with my dogs, and on a hot summer day, I replace the hotdog with ice cubes. You should see how much fun the dogs have going for the floating ice cubes, they just love it!
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/30/03, 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the pieces of hot dog will sink, it is also a great way to get a pup used to submerging its head under water, which latter they will do readily to retrieve diving ducks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: