German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Training schools
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/19/03, 8:07 pm    Post subject: Training schools Reply with quote

Oh I forgot the most important thing to tell you guys.. My beast has been named! My wife and I have been brainstorming on what to call our new addition to the family, and since this is going to be MY GWPup we have decided on..
Michael's Deja Vue
AKA: Deja
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/21/03, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cheerio!

Le Petit Prince is one of my favorites too.

Mr. Kyser, I would have to disrespectfully disagree with holding off on obedience training and allowing the pup to make decisions regarding weather or not he obeys. When they are puppies they are the most trainable and eager to please. Developmentally it is by far the best time to train them.

Allowing the dog to decide weather or not they will listen to you is giving them control and blatantly putting them in charge. This can lead to dominance issues. Also it can be stressful for a little inexperienced puppy to think he's at the helm of the ship! (H*ll, I don't want to be there some days...)

Also, allowing the dog to do whatever he wants for a year and then suddenly put on a choke or prong and start punishing him for not doing what you say, that would confuse and frustrate me!

Everyone on this board knows I am 100% opposed to harsh training, and don't use correction collars in obedience. However, firm, consistent, loving training from day one is critical to your dogs success in being a pet, a hunter, a performer or whatever s/he is going to be.

Obedience training, done correctly will not ruin any stamina or spirit the dog has and in fact will build a bond with your dog, making the two of you a better team.

I have done been doing obedience (among other) training with my dog since I brought him home at 9 weeks and believe me you have never seen such a willful, spirited, fun loving dog. (Ok, this group probably has seen that will, spirit, and joy but you get my point)

My experience with clicker training it is the fastest way to train a behavior and works really well for really precise behaviors. It is definitely a handy tool to have in your pocket. The downside to it is if you train with a lot of clicker people (which I do) the dog hears so much clicking that is irrelevant to them they become desensitized to it.

I have to "recondition" Riley every so often. The other cool thing about clickers is it is a great tool for trick training, so you pup can impress all your friends.
Anne
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/21/03, 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant RESPECTFULLY disagree!!! I really apologize for that. Sometime's I type faster than I think. I promise to proof read every post going forward. I do respect your right to your opinions. What a terrible typo. I'm going to get some coffee now.
cheerio

PostPosted: 07/21/03, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my turn now:
"WHAT ANNE SAID!..."
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/22/03, 7:13 am    Post subject: Training schools Reply with quote

I think Anne and Cheerio are one and the same. or at least long lost twins or something!!!!!!
dualgwp

PostPosted: 07/22/03, 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also going to "respectively" agree and disagree with both Anne and Kyser. Bear with me here....

For the average pet, or hunting dog, I believe teaching basic obedience commands is a good/necassary thing. Come, heel, stay are simple necessities for a good companion. The come command is probably the most important command you will ever teach your puppy, and it's the ONE they must always do. It well may save their life one day. It cannot be their decision to comply or not... they must!

I start my puppies on Come when they are very little guys, and begin reinforcing it when they are around 3 -4 months old. (A that time when they can run faster than me!) By 6 months old, they pretty much know one way or the other I will make them come when they are called, so it's just more fun to do it when asked. It won't hurt their independece or ruin their desire and drive down the road. If anything, you will be much more confident working your pup when you know you have "some" control over them. Any good bird dog needs to have basic manners.

Now, if you are considering a competitive career for your dog (speaking of field trials here) you probably should hold off with really formal obedience training until the puppy is a bit older and throughly familiar with it's job in the field. For instance, I don't teach my trial puppies to sit. Sit is such an easy command for them to perform, in times of pressure (such as the breaking process) they will convert to this behaviour because they know how and they have always received praise in the past for do it. It's just one less thing I have to "unteach" down the road. Now, this doesn't mean my dogs don't or won't sit....... I just don't teach them and reinforce this behaviour.

In my opinion, you must have a good idea of what you want your puppy to be when it grows up, and work toward that goal from the git go. Good companions need good social skills, good gun dogs need to obey instructions....don't expect that one day the dog will magically figure out that he has to now be a "good dog"....it's easier to teach them young "how" to be a good dog.

In the "old days" trialers never taught their puppies any obedience whatsoever, it was thought that it would take away from their "spirit"... we've come a long way baby! And the dogs are much better off for it.

Best of luck to everyone.....have fun!
Bernee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: