German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

is there a need for Draathars?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eva Negus

PostPosted: 06/06/03, 6:18 pm    Post subject: is there a need for Draathars? Reply with quote

I would like to hear from as many of you as possible regarding a market need for a truly versatile hunting dog. I have a really exceptional drat that is not only an awesome hunter but real easy to get along with as a pet. He is registered with the VDD. His dad was imported from Germany and won several trials. I would consider buying/importing an exceptional female, registered with the VDD.

I don't have time to trial my dogs, but they grow up on a large ranch in Wyoming and we hunt every day, even if is just for rabbits.
Could the pups be registered as GWP?
Also, what do you think these pups would be worth? How long would it likely take me to sell them?
Is there any color preference among buyers? Thanks.
cheerio

PostPosted: 06/06/03, 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breeding dogs is a wonderful adventure, but it is first and formost a very serious and a very tough business. Causing the life of joyfull little pups comes with great expense and responsibility.
Breeding dogs is not about putting to dogs together and making puppies, it is about perpetuating a breed we love and want to expend. It is about finding 2 wonderful and complementary dogs, as close to the standard as possible, and achieving life, the life of pups who will have as much as possible the qualities of Mom, and those of Dad, pups who will not have the fault of Mom, nicely compensated by Dad, nor the faults of Dad, beautifully improved by Mom. Breeding, is an exercise of genetics.
Breeding is knowing what to expect during the pregnancy of the female and also during the whelp. It is playing Doctor if and when intervention is needed, if helps becomes necessary.
Breeding is spending money that you will never see again. First there is the pre-breeding check up of the Dam. Then, there is the change of food, more expensive as the female progress in her pregancy. There is the money for the deworming of each pup and Mom, not once, but 3 times; there is the vaccines, twice before puppies can leave for their permanent homes. There is the cost of the micro-chip for each pup, the Vet check appointment, the puppy food... and this is assuming that all goes well. A ceasarian may be needed, more often that is thought; a pup may be ill, this often happens; you may have a worm infestation in the litter, or, heaven forbid, Parvo or Coronavirus which requires hospitalisation of the entire litter...
Breeding is a lot of time, constantly checking on the pups the first few days, adjusting the temperature of the room, cleaning the whelping box over and over again. It is cleaning the pup's quarters 3 or 4 times a day, it is smelling javex for weeks on ends...
Breeding is being responsible for the lives of these trusting creature. It is checking each and every possible buyer to ensure the pup will be given a good life. It is ensuring that the dog will not be bred right and left to whatever dog or even breed passing by. It is being strong enough to say no to the person who, money in hand, insists that you sell him one of your pup. It is recognising that the pup, from the time of his creation til the day of his death, can count on you. Are you prepared to keep any unsold pup? perhaps most of them? Are you prepare to take back any dog who, once puppyhood has passed, is no longer amusing the family, the dog which simply "did not turn out", or the dog who was not invited to move with the rest of the household?
If you have thought of it all, educated yourself, have an objective evaluation of your dog with all his qualities and all his faults. If you feel that you are prepared for the worse, then by all mean, do breed. It is one of the most enjoyable experience a dog lover can ever have. There is nothing like the goofy smile of a female who just had her first litter. There is nothing like the kisses (and the scratches) of 11 little pups climbing all over you as you sit in the middle of their pen after a long day at work. There is nothing like the smile of a happy dog who comes visiting with his family, years after they bought the dog from you. There is nothing like seeing a little glance of your dog in the eye of a mature dog who came from your breeding, years after your own dog has passed away...
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/06/03, 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simply beautiful post Cheerio.
Jon P
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 06/07/03, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eva,
First off, there are very few "trials" in Germany - I think you mean that your dog's sire did well in testing, don't you? What is the name of your pup's sire?

You will find very mixed reactions to the DD among GWP enthusiasts and GWPCA members. First of all, the versatile dog is not prized by most because the titles are not recognized by the AKC and are therefore not able to be included on the pedigree. In addition, many of the opinion leaders as well as officers and influential members of the GWPCA feel strongly that AKC events are the most important. They are very skeptical of versatile dogs and their testing scores. Many believe that versatile dogs lack desire (because they don't run 500 yds ahead of the horse or point with their tails at 12 o:clock) and that the 4000 members of NAVHDA and 11,000 members of the VDD own/produce lesser quality dogs than can be seen in the AKC show rings and field trials. Since the AKC does not offer any versatile gun dog testing, GWPCA club members have no real motivation to pursue versatile training and testing. The amount of work required in versatile training and testing is far beyond many members. A few have run Natural Ability tests and a handful have gone on to Utility testing. I would guess that no more than 5% of official breed club members are focused on versatile dog training and testing and hunting. You must remember that the premier performance events within GWP circles are Field Trials - these are the most prized titles and are based on a strong run and pointing but little else.

Why would you buy a DD and then go through the hassle of registering it with the AKC? Good DD breeders will almost always place promising pups in club hands where they will be tested and evaluated and (hopefully) become part of the VDD genepool. There are a few successful breeders within NAVHDA - in your place I would research these kennels and wait for a good breeding. Then you will have no registration problems. The majority of dogs that are doing well in NAVHDA testing go back to German bloodlines anyway, so you will probably find the dog you want. The majority of established GWP breeders are not interested in German dogs because they have no marketable credentials - they do not consider a UT or VGP score to be of recognizeable value whereas an MH or FC has PR value. The irony here is that the pure field dog has become
more important and sought than the versatile dog.

If you are buying a dog just to breed pups and make money, you would be best off not to start - there is no money to be made in SERIOUSLY breeding dogs, especially the versatile dog breeds. Without passing the VDD breeding requirements, any DD litter would not be admitted to the VDD breeding pool. I also doubt that without testing or competing their would be any serious interest in any AKC pups you might have from untested or unproven dogs and the papers are full of $100 bird dogs. There are so many dogs being bred that even the best breeders have trouble finding good buyers for pups. Of course, if you're not interested in good buyers or contributing to the genepool, it might be easier. The market for GWPs is not big enough that you could crank enough litters/yr from family pet/hunting dogs and try to make a living.
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/19/03, 2:47 pm    Post subject: is there a need for Draathars? Reply with quote

Cheerio,
are you a breeder? If not you should be!! you seem to have a love and great knowledge for the breed.
outdoorsman
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/26/03, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a breeder. Nor would I ever want to be. When I was deciding on breeds I found a breeder that I liked. The parents had one litter previously and all of those pups were great. So I plunked down my deposit down on what I hoped would be a great GSP pup. After a year and 2 failed breeding I gave up on that GSP pair. I talk to the breeder and she said that whole fiasco cost her over $3000. And she had no pups to show for it. No way to redeem her money.

I know if I did become a breeder, I would lose my shirt and be stuck with all most the entire litter. So I’ll leave it to the chosen few who have for some strange reason decided they like it.
cheerio

PostPosted: 06/28/03, 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, AmmoMike I am not a GWP breeder, nor do I pretend to know all there is to know about this wonderful breed which I was fortunate to encounter purely accidentally and that, you are right, I do love with all my heart. I am however, a breeder of working Belgian Shepherds, and have learnt the few pros and the many cons of the trade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: