German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Traumatic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dorisval

PostPosted: 06/16/03, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Traumatic Reply with quote

I have just had the most traumatic experience.

While out for the last walk of the day, a cat appeared from under a parked car and attacked my dogs (on the lead). Withing seconds both dogs had got hold of the it, I was trying in vain to separate the three but I had no chance. I was beside myself and in hysterics but could not rescue the poor cat.

A neighbour came out of her house, calmed me down and told me that this cat has been known for being agressive and that she had told her daughter not to go near it.

I am still in shock and can not stop thinking about the cat who had to die. I know the dogs just did what came natural but at the moment I have a problem being near them.

I am all confused.
Doris.
cheerio

PostPosted: 06/16/03, 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The death of an animal is not something anyone want to witness, especially in the teeth of our beloved dogs. However, there is another perspective which may make you feel better: Displaced Aggression Feline Syndrome!
It is an inheritate problem a little like a seizure, in which a cat, in apparence totally normal suddenly freezes in a hidden place for minutes at a time, sometimes up to one hour, until something triggers him back to life, usually a person or another animal, at which point they jump often at the head or the eyes of this "trigger" and litterally attacks with tooth and nails. This always becomes more and more frequent and the attacks more and more violent. Cats are not aggressive and certainely not known to attack a dog, never mind two. Given the circomstances and what the neighbor said, this cat may very well have been suffering from this condition. So in fact, you and your dogs may have been saving the eyes of the poor child who may have been passing by in the future...
dorisval

PostPosted: 06/17/03, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you cheerio,

I have since spoken to e few people and everybody is basically saying the same thing but I still struggle to come to terms with the experience.

Thanks for your support.

Kind regards,
Doris
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/17/03, 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time of year, I would think of RABIES!! Might be worth the expense of having the cat checked, for your peace of mind! Unprovoked attack on 2 dog`s for no reason,spell`s trouble to me. Have The Cat Checked!!!
Black & White German Wirehaired Pointers
dorisval

PostPosted: 06/18/03, 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very good point Loyd,

as both my GWP's are vaccinated against Rabies luckily they are covered.

Doris
Chinchy
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/18/03, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sure your dog`s were protected, I was more conserned for your welfare. As they were fighting you might have come in contact with body fluids, saliva, etc!
Black & White German Wirehaired Pointers
dorisval

PostPosted: 06/19/03, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for being concerned Loyd,

I was not able to get the cat checked but I don't think I did get in contact with saliva. Hopefully I will be alright.

Doris
Baron
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/19/03, 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you didn’t ingest any or get it in an open cut, you should be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: