German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Happyness and sorrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/11/03, 10:45 pm    Post subject: Happyness and sorrow Reply with quote

Six years ago, I have been the most lucky person in rescuing this poor starving dog in the street of a third world country where my husband was working as a missionary MD. She was so thin that we could see her heart beat through her rib cage. She had been tied up with a wire that had punctured her neck and the skin had grown over, she had fleas and ticks, she had mange and the worse case of skin infection, and she was bleeding from the rear as she was afflicted with what is called a slick tumor. Because of her size, she was only 33 lb then, and because she had no hair, we never could have known that she was a beautiful GWP, purebred and microshipped. My husband played Vet, operated on her, treated her. We fed her and nurse her until one day she demanded to come out of the crate where she had been for 3 long weeks, crawled up, her back turned towards the door. And here she was, tall and a little fater, with the most beautiful loving eyes. She got well and we promissed her a good happy life from then on. Little by little she became strong and beautiful, her hair grew and her playful attitude appeared. Everywhere we went she went. I had other dogs at the time and she started playing with them. She slept in our bedroom during the night and layd at our side during the evening meal. She would get excited butt in the air and front paw to the ground when I was happy and would lick my tears when I was sad. We soon recognised that she was a purebred dog, although surprising in a country where the only dogs beside the street dogs are abused Rottwillers, Pitt Bulls and German Shepherds. I thought she was a Griffon. My Daughter thought she looked Brittish, and certainly had the witt of a Brittish, so she called her Cheerio. From there, we moved to Canada and it is only at that time that a Vet told us that she was a GWP, and that she had a microchip that we managed to trace to Germany. She adapted very well to her Canadian life where she learnt to swim after the ducks and the Canadian geese on the lake bordering our property. She also encountered porcupines, and I think that was the beginning of the end of her story. 130 quills we removed from her nose, and her mouth once, and she did not learn. Few weeks later, over 200. Few months later, she started bleeding from the nose. It stoped and started again. It progressively got worse and worse. I thought quills, the vet thought cancer. The scans would not find anything and the biopsys kept coming back negative. We try every clinic, the veterinary school as well. No one seems to be able to help until one day, she refused her medicine and disappear in the woods and in the night. We took one of our tracking dog who led us to her. She had burried herself under a tree and would no longer respond to my call. "It is time" said my husband, as we forced her out of her refuge and had her euthanized the following day. To this day I maintain it was a quill, and my Vet insists it was cancer, a cancer no labs could find. Now, as she lay burried beside the lake, her face turned towards the ducks and the geese which will come back spring after spring, I am thinking of her, feeling very sorry that I could not give her the long happy life I promissed her. I am also thinking of the next GWP I have been serching for. But now that I have found you, members of this board, I know that I did not make up the breed, I know that others enjoy this wonderful happy dog, I know that I am close to locate my next girl, that I am close to be happy again.
Thank you for the opportunity to share my happiness and my sorrow with you.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 03/12/03, 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How absolutely wonderful that Cheerio found such caring people to share her life with.

Thank you.....and if we (The GWP community) can be of any help getting you another friend... please let us know. There are many Wires and DD's out there who need new homes through no fault of their own. There are many caring breeders who may have a litter that will fit your desires as well.

Would you give your permission for Cheerios story to be published in the Wire News? Selling puppies to foreign countries can sometimes be a real nightmare for the dogs and for the breeders.

Thank you again!
Bernee Brawn
Justa GWP's
admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: 03/12/03, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful story..

Isn't it sad that they live such short lives? I think they make up for it by the tons of unconditional love they dish out in that time.

Welcome to our breed. While no dog can replace the special place Cheerio held in your hearts, I hope we can help you find another truly special GWP to wiggle its way into a new spot there.

-Sheri
BBAdmin
cheerio

PostPosted: 03/13/03, 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you for your kind replies. Dualgwp, I would be honored to see Cheerio's story in the Wire news. This would be a well deserved tribute to a dog that constantly gave and never asked for anything more than a little love. Should you need pictures, I have plenty as you probably guessed. I would also be very greatful if you could point me to the direction of a good breeder. A nice little pup would be so nice to have running around on our property. We would also welcome an adult female in search for a good home. There are no hunters in the family so all we really require is that she'll be a GWP, with those big pleading eyes and the goofy attitude that makes her spin around throwing her hears in all directions... Smile
dorisval

PostPosted: 06/13/03, 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a warmhearted story, it filled my eyes with tears.
I sincerely hope you have found a new GWP companion.

Doris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: