German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

One or more GWPs? Are they difficult to handle in pairs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annamaria

PostPosted: 03/02/03, 1:12 pm    Post subject: One or more GWPs? Are they difficult to handle in pairs? Reply with quote

Hi! 4 months ago our family was extended by Laura a 5 year old GWP who needed rehoming. We are very pleased by her character and personality. She is very affectionate, and needs a lot of attention. She also tries to play with our two cats and at times I feel that she need a friend to play with. So, less or more seriously, we have been looking for another dog that would fit our family. Today I by accident saw an add, that Laura´s brother, 5-years old as well, needed rehoming. This is a very unordinary situation given the fact that we live in a country with very few GWPs. We haven´t found a smaller breed that would feel right. Is this the golden opportunity for us? During winter we live in apartment, but enjoy trips to the outdoors.

Is it possible to handle them in pairs? Pros an cons of having two dogs?

Thank you for all opinions!

Smile
Kasiak

PostPosted: 03/07/03, 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two dogs? We have two dogs (a chesapeak and a GWP), five months apart in age. Both arrived in our home as puppies. Don't think I will ever do that again. Just when you think one is house trained, you have another to deal with..... But since the new potential is already 5 you won't have a lot of the puppy issues.

Our dogs are not attached to each other - more attached to their humans. They seem to care less if each other is there or not. I don't see a lot of companion issues between these dogs as they are more interested in their people.

I do have friends that really support the idea of having two dogs. I think it can work great for some people.

The only reason we have two dogs is because our Chessie is good for cold weather (duck) hunting and our GWP is better suited for warmer weather bird hunting. I just don't think the GWP is stupid enough to take the cold ocean sea duck hunting that the Chessie just thrives in.

I think if I only had one dog, and came across a dog that needed a home, regardless if it wasn't the perfect set up (for me), I may take it, just to give the dog a good loving home. But I don't think I'd go lookin for one!

Good Luck!
dorisval

PostPosted: 06/13/03, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Annamaria,

By now - hopefully - your household is extended and you enjoy your two GWP's! My first dog I ever owned is Rudi, a liver and silver GWP and when he was three years of age the breeder phoned to tell me that Rudi's parents have had another litter. Could I resist another one? Could I not! Now Rudi has a half-sister called Helga and I can not imagine my life without one or the other! They are two totally individual caracters, Helga the "daddy's girl" and Rudi the big aloof "mummy's boy".

When they are out on the moors they play very hard and when they are at home they snuggle into their beds and sleep, snore and f..t.
Helga likes to climb onto the sofa, especially when Jack my husband is at home, she likes to climb on top of him for a belly tickle.
When out, Rudi is the big softie whereas Helga is the boisterous one who gets herself into trouble with other dogs as she is a loudmouth and has to be rescued by Rudi.

Even though it is not as easy to go out with two energetic dogs as it would be with just one, I love the company of my two GWP's!
Will you let me know whether you did get the second dog?

Kind regards
Doris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: