German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

10 month old will not eat if we are not home...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alicia

PostPosted: 05/09/03, 1:05 pm    Post subject: 10 month old will not eat if we are not home... Reply with quote

We have a 10 month old male GWP.
He is our Babe! and he is also a big baby.
I have been reading many messages looking for one that may address our situation, and I have seen some in bits, but not the whole thing.
Here is what we've got going on...

As I've read some others have come across, our boy "Stubby", does not like to be left alone. At All.
If we are going out for an evening, we will feed him dinner early and he will be out in the yard (which is where we feed him), and he will NOT eat until we are home - no matter if we left at Noon and aren't home until midnight.
He also hates to be locked out in the yard if we are home, and will shine and cry and not eat unless the door is open for him to come in and out.
This is not a huge problem in itself, as I am lucky enough to be home daily with my 2 little boys...and he plays with them and follows me around, etc.

However, sometimes people HAVE to go out of town...
April 23 until the 29th, Stubby was at the kennel. I know the kennel people and trust them (our old boy -a Lab- used to stay there when he had to until he died of kidney failure at 6 years of age!).
However, it stressed Stubby so badly, that I do not think he ate the WHOLE time (he lost like 5 lbs. in that week - a lot for a 45 lb. pup!), he rubbed bare both sides of his face (on the muzzle), and developed bronchitis that my vet says was most-likely stress!
I mentioned to the vet that he doesn't like to eat when we are not around, and asked what they thought that maybe we could do about it. She mentioned that maybe the only thing would be another dog who would be a companion while we are not home.
Stubby is very friendly to other dogs, and plays often with our neighbor's 1-year old Lab...

Anyway, this got pretty long. Has anyone else had this kind of situation? He is definitely our little boy, and I joke that he thinks he's more human than dog. We are training him (slowly but surely) to hunt, so I worry about getting another dog and be training 2 at almost the same time, as we amatuers at training.

Would love to hear any commiseration, ideas or thoughts on our pedicament...
All the Best to all,
Alicia Jensen
Southern California
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 05/12/03, 2:37 pm    Post subject: 10 Month old won't eat if not home Reply with quote

Hi,

My eight year old male is the same way, if I am gone to a dog show or hunt test with my 10 month old GWP puppy, he won't eat. Eventually, he gets hungry enough & does!

Don't worry about him not eating. He will figure it out. My dogs don't like to be outside too much when I am home, they are very family oriented.

Maybe you should try a housesitter next time you go away. They come to the house & stay with your dog, pick up the mail & newspaper. That way the dog gets to stay in his own enviroment.

Good Luck. Laughing
Alicia

PostPosted: 06/09/03, 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply.
Sorry to have been so long in acknowledging that!

We have been talking to people of other breeds of dogs, too, and this appears to be fairly common dog-thing.
It just worries me as there are times when we *just have* to leave him and he just will not eat (I don't hink he even goes potty! really)...fortunately, we have a neighbor with a Lab (who is our Stubby's best buddy) who has said we should just leave him with them when/if we have to.

I think the not-eating-thing may have become compounded with this dog as I am now a stay-at-home-mom (since before we'd gotten him), and I was not with our other dogs we'd had previous...

Again, thank you!
Take Care,
Alicia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: