German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

wall repair needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dakotagun

PostPosted: 11/21/13, 10:19 am    Post subject: wall repair needed Reply with quote

my gwp grew up with a Brittany sister, one who was very well mannered and an excellent hunter. we lost her several months ago, and recently my wife got back into the routine of leaving the house with me for work. dog is in the garage, has a kennel/run about 15'x5' inside, and another 10'/x5' outside. she has recently resorted to eating my drywall. I've patched, and tried covering with plywood, wallboard, and now aluminum sheets...
I know she's anxious about being alone, since the loss of her roommate. she gets lots of exercise on our 3 acres and jaunts with me on the 4x4, hunts often, is well-trained and otherwise obedient. she spends other short blocks of time in the same kennel without incident, but when we both leave the garage together, it's a circus.
I've tried to 'trick her' by leaving and coming back in quietly, waiting for sounds of trashing, but haven't spent enough time waiting or have made noise for her to know i'm around, cuz nothing happens.
might get a camera and tape a day or two. or just get plate steel to line the walls with.
Steve007

PostPosted: 12/18/13, 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably know the answer. You need another dog. Your wirehair is bored and lonesome.
dakotagun

PostPosted: 06/11/14, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. that was the obvious conclusion I kept landing on! so, fast-forward to spring, and she has a new lil' roomy, a male Brittany. he's 10 wks now, and quite a handful. Gunner is showing signs of a cool gundog (went swimming for the second night in a row in a nearby lake, retrieved a couple of branches I tossed out about 20 feet). didn't want to overdue it, so we stopped and will return later. Nikita, on the other hand, has her paws full dealing with the little guy (she deserves every hassle, too, because the role was reversed about six years ago...). but she seems to be much more 'relaxed' in kennel and house. this fall outta be fun!
Steve007

PostPosted: 06/11/14, 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering the dates of this thread, it took you awhile to make the move. But it was clearly the right one.

I've lived with multiple dogs all my life, and (new) non-dog wife coudn't understand that one dog is not enough. I'm sure your wirehair would agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: