German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Is this the right breed for me? please help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Booth82

PostPosted: 04/26/12, 5:18 pm    Post subject: Is this the right breed for me? please help Reply with quote

My boyfriend and I are looking to purchase a GWP, not for hunting, just as a family pet. I was very sure this was the breed I wanted until I started receiving negativity from some breeders when I told them the dog would not be used for hunting, and some were just down right rude. We live on 2.5 acres along a shallow river in the country. We spend much of our time doing outdoor activities and want a dog that would enjoy these with us as well as enjoy playing in the river and spending many summer weekends in the Wisconsin north-woods at a cabin on the lake. I understand this breed requires a lot of exercise, which we are prepared to provide. Why the negativity when I say the dog will not be used for hunting (yes I know that is the main reason this dog is bred)? Should I be looking at a different breed?
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/13/12, 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!!!!!!!
Hope this helps
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/14/12, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWPs are hunters, be it pointing the elusive quail or blood tracking a bear it is what they are bread to do. Hundreds of years of breeding has deeply ingrain the hunting instinct that it is part of their being. Not allowing the dog to meet its full potential is a grave miss-justice. So many fine hunting dogs have gone the way of the show/house pet dog, for example the Irish Setter, Standard Poodle, Golden Retriever have lost or are on the brink of loosing there natural hunting ability, never to be regained. I do not think much of people that just show dogs either. If this is all about you and what you want then put up the two thousand dollars or more and by a show quality pup, its Dam and Sire probably have never be in the field anyway, but please stay away from the hunting stock. Most breeders that have hunting stock will not sell you a dog unless you have an active hunting license. The German Wirehaired Pointer has such grace and talent in the field and they are a sheer pleaser to watch work. You having a GWP would never experience your dogs natural talents, an experience that should not be missed . Its a crime against nature to turn them in to backyard ball chasers. Looking for a good dog to share your life with I would suggest a Lab, outstanding dog, loves people and the ball chase.
Deb Finstad
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 05/15/12, 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you set on having a puppy or would you consider getting an older dog? What Leadhead wrote is true of most GWPs but, there are those that aren't great hunters but, are still great pets -- National GWP rescue has a number of dogs in right now looking for loving homes.

http://www.nationalgwprescue.org/adopt.cfm
CatCupl

PostPosted: 05/23/12, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Additional Perspective Reply with quote

Hi Booth82,

We have been GWP owners for about 10 years and I believe I can offer some alternative perspectives and would be happy to discuss them with you in a more private media, pm and or direct e-mail. Send me a pm if interested.

Regards,

CatCupl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: