German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

New to GWP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctperk

PostPosted: 11/13/08, 4:47 pm    Post subject: New to GWP Reply with quote

I have a 7 mo. GWP. I am new to the breed. He has what seems to be a variety of healty issues since I have gotten him and I am not sure the vet knows what he is talking about.

His ears always seem infected, and he told me not to pull the hair from his ears. Seems to me I should....any thoughts?

He has had a skin irritation to the point I had to take him in he was scratching himself so bad. Vets answer $68 prescription diet alergen z/d.....seems to work but he dosent seem to be totally itch free. Never heard of food allergies in a dog, always had labs, so not sure about this....thoughts

Finally he urinates in his keenel. He is house broken but has a large size dog kennel he sleeps in during the day when not home and at night. Have tried various things like cutting water out a couple of hours before bed....

thanks
dualgwp

PostPosted: 11/13/08, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a call to the breeder of your pup is in order. Dogs do get food allergies, and grass allergies and all kind of allergies, but this isn't something one should expect or accept in a 7 mos old puppy.

Check to see if either parent had these issues, if the answer is yes, then... well, plan to spend some money in the future to keep it in check.

Too late for your pup, but this is something breeders need to keep in mind.. don't breed dogs with constant ear problems, allergies, skin problems. No matter how good Mom or Dad is... no one needs these on going health issues.

Some dogs go through this and then it's never a problem again, others live it with and are always a problem. Wish I had better news for you.
Dual
york_rotch

PostPosted: 02/09/09, 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pull the hair out of the ears pretty regular, and clean his ears with an Otic cleanser at the end of the day, if the dogs been in the water.
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/06/11, 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not say what type of infection your dog has in the ears, if itís a yeast infection, removing the hair from the ears will let more air in and may help. To get rid of it you must set-up and environment in the ear that the yeast cannot live in. If you would like, send me an e-mail and I send you a formula that will eliminate the yeast problem. I have used it for years and it works. The dog urinates in its kennel and sleeps in it also; the cycle could be a big part of his skin problems. You failed to say how many hours he spends in the kennel a day, are your expectations to high? You also say that your faith in the Vet you go to is low, then you need to find a new Vet to work with. Hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: