German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Training Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rf

PostPosted: 04/06/09, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Training Question Reply with quote

About two years ago we lost a male GWP we had for 14 years. He was a great dog. We have a 14 month neutered male GWP. We got him as a 7 week puppy, the grand nephew of our previous dog. He has been through puppy class, basic obedience and is now in Canine Good Citizen. He has been in Hunt Tests and hunted all last fall. He seems very stubborn, he definitely knows the sit command yet about 7 out of ten times we have to enforce the sit or stay command. I hear about the world of wirehairs, do any of you expierience the same type of stubborn behavior ? We love him but sometimes get tired of him always challenging our commands.
Any input or expierience is welcomed. I love this forum and have learned much.

RF
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 04/07/09, 9:28 am    Post subject: Training Question Reply with quote

Hi,

The wonderful world of wires can be a challenge sometimes - your dog is about the enter what I refer to the "teenage" years - most behavior problems start to show up around 14 - 18 months of age.

I have three wires - they are 14yrs old, 7 yrs & 2 yrs. The young dog, he listens some of the time and other times - he looks at me like I am crazy! I just reinforce the command everytime - I never give him a command I cannot reinforce - they are smart and will figure out that you mean what you say - you did not just say it because you like the word.

The other two listen the majority of the time - the old dog gets confused sometimes & the 7 yr old bitch - likes to look at you and say "WHAT" but she also knows I will reinforce the command - either way - I always get my way.

Good Luck

Cathy
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 06/03/10, 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember you are the leader of the pack and you must enforce this at all times. Male dog will test you all the time no matter what their age after six months. Never back down from the dog. Ensure your command is executed no matter what. This is not to say that you beat the dog, I have found that strong voice, and a cold shoulder from you (let him know you are not happy with him) can go a long way with GWP”s especially when you have a bond with them. Hope this helps
justin_ruch1180

PostPosted: 02/15/11, 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog gets mad if I leave the house. he barks and chews on my my pants. what should I do?

Last edited by justin_ruch1180 on 02/22/11, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/15/11, 11:59 pm    Post subject: Training Question Reply with quote

You did not mention the age of your dog. If is a young dog - why are you leaving him/her loose in house?

If it is an older dog - I would have a squirt bottle filled with water handy when I leave the house - I would squirt the dog in the face & tell him/her in a firm voice "ENOUGH". My dogs know that is the I really mean it word.

Good Luck

Cathy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: