German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

GSP - GWP differences in temperment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mbick223

PostPosted: 02/05/11, 8:50 pm    Post subject: GSP - GWP differences in temperment? Reply with quote

Had a GSP was a great dog and better friend, after just over 13 years had to have her put down, hardest thing I've ever done in my life. but now after 2 years thinking about a new friend and hunting companion and thinking about going with a GWP this time. What difference can I expect between the 2 breeds? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/06/11, 11:23 pm    Post subject: GSP - GWP differences in temperment Reply with quote

Hello,

I too once owned a GSP - he passed away at the age of 13. I looked for another one - did not like what I saw in the breed and decided to get a GWP - that was 17 yrs ago & I have never regretted the decision.

My first wire passed away at the age of 14 & he was the greatest dog ever. I currently own three wires & they are as different in energy & personality as day and night. Do your research & speak to different breeders regarding their dogs & their temperament.

Their energy level can be off the wall or just fine. My three are fine just laying around the house but are ready for a good run.

whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 02/07/11, 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont own any GWPs, but owned GSPs and Drahthaars.
I think the Wire/DD tends to be more terrier in temperment at times..

Stubborn, harder, tougher and a little more challenging to train.
They question and think more.
Dont like repetition or heavy handedness.
Wires are better companions, more loyal and attached to their owner in general.

GSPs are easier trained, more instinctive, less complicated, hunt for everyone type dogs and why you see so many at pheasant farms.
Their coat is easier to keep, easier to clean but less protection in real cold or real nasty stuff.

GSPs are likely to be a little 'better' field dog, more run in them, cover more ground and range further, but are not the cripple experts a wire is.
Wire gets nod for retrieve, tracking and stability-especially in a duck blind.

I like them both.
Theyre just different. Drahts will kill any coon or cat it ever comes across, my GSPs would bark at them. Thats the difference. One barks at fur, one bites it.
Wires keep you guessing and are more interesting.
Try your patience more too. One of each maybe..socialize them well whatever you do and keep them busy and tired.
Mbick223

PostPosted: 02/07/11, 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, I appreciate any advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: