German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

panostetis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonw99

PostPosted: 02/20/04, 11:50 pm    Post subject: panostetis Reply with quote

has anyone had a dog with panostetis. My dog is 6 months old and was limping so i took him to the vet. THey diagnosed him to have panostetis. I may be spelling this incorrectly.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help prevent this?

Is this a gentic disorder? should i have my dog fixed? I was thinking of using him to breed but now i am reluctant as i do not want to pass this into the breed.
AmmoMike
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/22/04, 12:06 pm    Post subject: sorry Reply with quote

i meant to post a reply to your topic but somehow pressed new topic look at my topic about our dog also.
denise and mike
maverickdvm

PostPosted: 02/22/04, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that noone has had time to respond about panosteitis. I don't have time either, but here are some websites:
http://www.siriusdog.com/pano.htm
http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/depano.html
http://www.tcanimalclinic.petplace.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=223

Hope this helps.
Sarah
cheerio

PostPosted: 02/24/04, 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panosteitis is not a disease. It is what we call in our kids "growing pains". It occurs in the legs front and back, where 2 bones grow in the same time (forarms and back legs from the knee to the ankle). Basically, one of the bone grows faster than the other, causing pain.
There is nothing you can do to prevent it, nor to cure it.
It is suspected when a dog has what is refer to as "wandering lameness", meaning that the dog will one day limp from one leg and later from another. An X-ray will confirm it because it will show a difference in bone density.
The good news is that it is self limited and once the dog is fully grown it is the end of the problem, usually by 20 months. In some dogs it may last only a few weeks whereas in other it may drag for months.
Treatment is aimed at making the dog more comfortable by the use of analgesics. On some severe cases, limited exercise and antiinflamatory may be prescribed.

Although it is not gentic per say, some breeds are more affected than others and an inheritate pre-disposition is suspected.
trackindog
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 02/24/04, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this something that could be lessened by or even avoided by feeding puppy food for large breed dogs? I thought the intent of the food was to slow the growth enough in these dogs to keep them from having joint problems.

Ann
jasonw99

PostPosted: 02/24/04, 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was feeding my dog puppy food for larger breeds, Eukenuba to be exact, I have switched him over to Adult dog food, I will wait to see what happens. THe pain isnt predictable so i will wait until i see it happen again
cheerio

PostPosted: 02/25/04, 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, panosteitis has nothing to do with joints, but rather with the long bones. However, you are quite right when it comes to joints, feeding a lower protein diet to larger breed does help the joints to grow slower. It is encorage to switch to adult food at 6 months of age for this very reason. Some breeders and/or Vets also like to give vitamin C to large breed pup to help the body utilise calcium. Calcium supplement is however contreindicated.
akwire

PostPosted: 02/27/04, 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to take a look at the responses to "My Girl is Sick" that Ammomike posted a while back. Seems there MIGHT be a predisposition towards von Willenbrand's disease in pups with Panostetis. With the exception of that possibility, Cheerio's info. is right on with what my vet had to say as well.
johnbaymore

PostPosted: 09/17/10, 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case, you should check his food diet, I mean you should avoid some dog foods that have a super high calorie-dense calcium and phosphorus. To be assured, you should bring your dog to a veterinarian for proper diagnosis and treatment.
yuanyelss

PostPosted: 01/24/11, 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It occurs in the legs front and back, where 2 bones grow in the same time (forarms and back legs from the knee to the ankle). Basically, one of the bone grows faster than the other, causing pain......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: