German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Coat care, length, strip hair.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohiogwp

PostPosted: 07/11/10, 10:13 am    Post subject: Coat care, length, strip hair. Reply with quote

I have an Liver male 19 mos. old. I have been researching lately the best way to maintain his coat. I know if he has a perfect coat it "maintains" itself.....but, my dog in my opinion has too long of a coat. I look at pics, and would really like him to have a harder coat that lays closer to his body. Which leads me to question, should I just spend 3 hours and strip his hair from head to tail? Hopefully by fall hunting season he would have a "good" or better coat? He seems to pick up burrs like crazy, especially his legs and ears. His hunting instincts and ability is twice as good as any lab or other dog ive had before. He points from inside the house at birds in the lawn, just for an example. He is a fantastic frizbee dog too. Just looking for some help thank you! (don't know how to post pic yet)[/img]
dualgwp

PostPosted: 07/12/10, 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your dogs coat is getting long and fluffy, then by all means, strip it out. In the spring, most every Wire, even those with the very best coats, will need a good stripping.

The more you do it, the better the coat should get. If you are going to hunt the dog in the fall, strip them good and short now, and by hunting season the coat should be just about right.

Dual
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 07/18/10, 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, strip it.

No longer than 2 centimeters is the standard for the breed in Germany but shorter is more desireable, providing its dense and offers full coverage.

Should grow back fully in 7-9 weeks so plan your stripping with your hunting accordingly.

I dont strip after Sept 30.
And wait until late Spring to strip again.

I might comb out (5 minutes) some dead in between if shes getting real scraggly.

On the legs and ears, get scissors and trim it as close as you can without getting skin.
That is a very hard area to strip or pluck and will minimize burrs.

My brother did just this with his spaniel. Worked great.
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 08/04/10, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are concerned about the breed standers then stripping is the way to go, It however may be hard to find someone who know what they are doing, and it can be painful for the dog. I live in the mid-Atlantic region and cockle-burrs are a real problem here. I clip my wirehairs to minimize and control the hair length to avoid hours of burr removal. Clipping may not be the preferred, be if you spend a lot of time in the fields it has been the best option for me .
dualgwp

PostPosted: 08/04/10, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a pretty easy way to keep a decent coat stripped....
get yourself a rubber glove, the kind you keep under the kitchen sink.

Fluff up the dogs coat, and with your gloved fingers, simply grasp the long hairs and pull them out. Take your time, you don't have to do it all at one time, several days may be necassary.

Once you have done that, use your gloved hand and rub the coat in the direction it grows..... you will be amazed how much hair you can remove just with a good old rubber glove.

Then get yourself a really fine toothed comb, the narrower the teeth the better. Comb through the coat and remove as much dead undercoat as possible. (the undercoat is the soft hair under the harsh outer coat) Do that once a week in the spring, summer and fall. Getting that dead useless hair out is key! Again, do it careful, take your time.

Once you clip the coat, you have destined yourself to clipping forevermore! It might seem easy now, but in the long run... your dog will lose all that protective harsh hair and it will be nothing by a fluff ball and will be total burr magnet.

You purchased a wire coated breed. Learn how to take care of it. It really is not that difficult. And I would not scissor the leg hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Again, cut the hair, and you have fluff. Take the time to do it properly and you will not regret it.
Dual
Ohiogwp

PostPosted: 08/07/10, 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, been very helpful. I want to keep his hair as harsh as I can for all the reasons that I purchased a Wirehair (hunting). I have went with the rubber glove method and stripping knife. Definately time consuming but I know I will be more efficient with time. He's only 19 months so I will have years to perfect. I know what you mean about the cockle-burrs! All the good pheasant areas in Ohio have these. I refuse to take my dog to any of these places because of them. Too bad. Thanks again!
Ohiogwp

PostPosted: 08/09/10, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Sunday was "stripping" day. I definately have a longer haired GWP. Or, just let his hair go to long. I have been trying to locate groomers or other GWP owners in the area to tell me if I am on the right track. No luck yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: