German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Running along side a bike ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rf

PostPosted: 03/15/09, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Running along side a bike ? Reply with quote

At what age is a GWP's bone structure complete so that it is alright for them to run along side a bike for a mile or so in the neighborhood ?

RF
gwp4ever

PostPosted: 03/26/09, 4:17 pm    Post subject: Biking Reply with quote

Hi- I don't know about the age, I always wait until about 18 months or older, however if you are just going to the corner store or to the off leash dog running area, and let the dog trot or walk on something other than hard pavement, I don't see how a bit of biking could do damage to a younger dog.
My advice to you is : GET A "SPRINGER"- they are sold through many pet supply places, a device that attaches to your bike. they are great. Makes it much safer for you and your dog.
About the age I would ask your vet or maybe someone will post who knows more about the correct age to start real strenuous roadwork.
I never roadwork my dogs on pavement- I find a dirt track or grass or even gravel. I think it may be hard on their joints to run on pavement.
I will walk them on the pavement to the park or store or to visit a friend, just not run them hard on an unforgiving surface.
nikspitt

PostPosted: 07/16/10, 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
I have made it run at the age of 24 months ..it did not face any problems...
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 07/18/10, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your neighborhood is in the backwoods , here’s what to do wile you’re waiting for your dog’s bone structure to develop, you run the mile or so in your bare feet over the concrete or asphalt roads and see how your feet are when you get back. Then decide if you still need to run your dog over the same roadways or buy a trail bike and get off the roads
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: