German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Hunted with a Trial Setter-Brace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 11/09/09, 2:16 pm    Post subject: Hunted with a Trial Setter-Brace Reply with quote

A neighbor of mine and I were recently acquainted and hit it off.
Nice country fella, grew up on a working farm.
He raises some quail and works his trial setter all of his off hours.

I was invited to go on a hunt with him this weekend to his farm of 1600 acres in Central Ohio, managed CRP lands and was excited to go.

We released the dogs at sunup, and I was very impressed with the Run in his setter. It just happened to run- by alot of birds.
I only got a photo of her backside as she was a running fool.

30-45 minutes into the hunt, my ugly DD bitch who is pushing 8, had found 3 birds, had 2 productive points.
His dog was not even close enough to back mine, running far ahead-200-500 yards.
We hunted another 2 hours. My dog found 6 more birds.
His dog had 2 finds, the entire day.

It was commented by this fella that my dog was not 'real exciting to watch or point'!
I remarked back that all mine does is find birds Smile
My dog has no tail. So Exciting is, as exciting does.
Meanwhile, My dog found 3 times as many birds as his. And his does not retrieve shot birds. None.

Mine was also released on a Cripple the setter was unsuccessful on, returning with crip bird 100+ yards away, in thick CRP cover that was shoulder high. His dog ran in circles.
Was a lost bird otherwise.

This setter was outhunted by a dog that weighs twice as much, in very thick cover.
In warmer open country or certain coverts, his setter would've been more valuable-fast and moved well, about 40 lbs.
For pheasants in thick CRP, give me a good methodical ugly dog, any day.
I may try to post pics later. Not bragging on my dog just making a point

On way back to truck, his dog is the white 'speck' on the right screen tearing down this plowed field.
And in the truck, mine didnt even tear apart his setter. Who'd of thunk?

Rhonda
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/19/09, 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your old dog can beat a young dog that is still in the development stages of its life.

I'll pat you on the back, but you'll have to move your hand over to make room for mine.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 11/19/09, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rhonda

Although at 2 (Age of this Setter) Mine was already Retrieving, Holding Birds, Recovering cripples, Force Broke, taking hand signals etc and Running harder than she does now.

Mine will be 8 soon.
I was just sharing what I thought was an interesting day out.

Interesting Study & Stat for you, Rhonda dear..
Quote:

Studies done at the National Championships at the Ames plantation proved so Embarassing, that they have now buried them.

They found that the best big running trial dogs in the country found about 5% of available birds on a quail planation with remarkable bird populations.

Similar studies at the same time done at Tall Timbers plantation found that more moderate paced hunting pointers, found 25-35% of available birds.'

Brace by brace commentary from 2008 and 2009, 30-40 % of these dogs are false pointing...unproductive points at Ames.
The so-called best dogs in America false point 40% of their birds

Do they judge STYLE on False Points?
Rhonda
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/19/09, 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...you had to force fetch a DD? Must not be out of the good DD lines that you have been preaching about on the other forums.

Obviously you, now, are the one who is speaking about things of which you are misinformed. Field trialing. I wouldn't expect to have a dog with perfect bird manners at that age. I develop the dog slowly and keep it happy and willing.

Rhonda
Read. Comprehend. Absorb.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 11/19/09, 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troll Much?

Quote:
you had to force fetch a DD? Must not be out of the good DD lines that you have been preaching about on the other forums.

Not really.She was a Natural. Those lines in addition to being performance breeding, make up the only 6, of the 8 titled UKC HRC DDs/GWPs. A Lab dominated venue.

Mine had been picking up neighbors newspapers, well as balls, wings etc and carrying them 3 miles as a 12-14 week old pup...just a total natural.

But for Fox, dead smelly coons, and even Skunks, I went with a FF Program
Well about 1 week of it. Not really necessary I learned, and we simply went to a postitive approach, which worked well.

My dog at 2 was a Barnburner in the field. Ran like a demon.

Polish and Finish is not what this trial dog needed.
It found 2 birds the entire days to my dogs 8.

It did No fetching, not even attempt to, it was crap on cripples.
Going in Cirlces while mine brought home the bacon, trailing crip phez 100+ meters in should high CRP. ut of sight.

My hunt party was convinced the bird was in our vicinity, but I knew better
I learned slow, but at least I learned, Jimbo.
Rhonda
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 11/19/09, 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only trolling after one fish....gotta keep ya honest!

Rhonda
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 11/24/09, 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Polish and Finish is not what this trial dog needed.
It found 2 birds the entire days to my dogs 8.

Trialing is not about bird finding. Its about style, run, search, intelligent use of the wind, hitting objectives, and manners on contact. A dog that finds too many birds may not have an opportunity to display all of that. Most trialers I know don't want too many birds on the course...they'd rather have just a few...and a long ways away....

Exactly what I say to myself when I go hunting...I only want to see a few birds and I want them to be a long ways away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: