German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

kennel aggression

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cknight

PostPosted: 03/27/09, 7:25 pm    Post subject: kennel aggression Reply with quote

My soon to be 2 years old GWP has developed a kennel aggression. It has started since I have moved a few months ago. I have increased the size of his kennel from 6X18 to 10X20. I do not think this could be an issue. The kennel is still right behind the house and myself or my son let him out each day to let him run and retrieve for us. We probably run him more now than in the past because the new house has woods behind it and undeveloped lots around us. He is perfectly normal and shows no aggression to other people or dogs when he is out of the kennel.

Although its not a huge problem it is something I would like to correct or at least understand what is causing it.

Any ideas?
gwp4ever

PostPosted: 03/30/09, 8:40 pm    Post subject: ?- what is kennel agression? Reply with quote

Hi- I am not sure what is meant by "kennel aggression". Is your dog being territorial about his kennel when , say, neighbor dogs pass within view?
And/or is your dog lunging and growling at the kennel fence when you and/or your family members approach the dog when the dog is in the kennel?
Perhaps I may be able to offer some helpful ideas, however I am not sure what your dog is doing.
Rhonda
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 03/31/09, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pen size doesn't have anything to do with this. It may be caused by insecurity from a new place with different sounds, surroundings, etc. There may be critters coming around that he isn't accustomed to, with the woods and the empty lots....making him more possessive of his "home".

Find a way to make him feel secure in his kennel.

We train all different breeds of dogs from all across the country and we see this alot. It usually when the dog first gets here and isn't too long before they come out of it. Although, not all of them do. (Our kennels have dividers to keep the dogs apart....but you just have one dog. We have a GSP house dog that sounds ferocious when someone knocks on the door, but will lick them as soon as we let them in the house. She is protective of her territory.)

Rhonda and Jim
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/03/09, 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you feed the dog in the kennel? If so you may be dealing with food aggression. Without more info its hard to help you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: