German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Aggressiveness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rf

PostPosted: 03/28/09, 8:13 am    Post subject: Aggressiveness Reply with quote

We have a 14 month, neutered male GWP. He is a great dog around friends and family. He loves other dogs. When we meet strangers he is ok for a minute or so, then he barks and snaps at them. We can not tolerate this behavior. Would a muzzle when we try to expose him to more people be of benefit. This forum has helped me with other problems. Your help and expierience is very much appreciated.
cmmilach
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 03/28/09, 3:31 pm    Post subject: Aggressiveness Reply with quote

Hi,

Sounds to me like your dog is showing signs of fear - how does he react when people talk to him or try to pet him? I have three wires, my oldest being 14 yrs old - when he was young - about the age of your dog - he started to show the same behavior - I just would not make a big deal out of it - I would ask whomever he was fearful of to speak to him and kneel down. He went on to be one of the top confirmation dogs along with an outstanding performance dog.

The other two can get a little spooked also if someone just stares at them and does not make any noise - I too have been able to work through this.

Good Luck

Cathy M.
Jay-Mar's GWP's

PostPosted: 04/02/09, 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Aggressiveness Reply with quote

rf wrote:
We have a 14 month, neutered male GWP. He is a great dog around friends and family. He loves other dogs. When we meet strangers he is ok for a minute or so, then he barks and snaps at them. We can not tolerate this behavior. Would a muzzle when we try to expose him to more people be of benefit. This forum has helped me with other problems. Your help and expierience is very much appreciated.

you are setting him up for a potentially diasterious outcome. If he is snapping at people, then you should not be allowing anyone to pet him or get that close. It could be fear aggression and he is being pushed beyond his confort zone or it could be territorial aggression being next to you...it could be a combination of both.
You should seek out a professional trainer to help you with this before he bites someone and you get sued.
I am not sure where you are located but if you would like to contact me privately, I can try to give you some help. I am a trainer as well as breed wires
Nikki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: