German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

New to the Breed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhonda
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/08/09, 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the pet first, working dog second category.

I would much rather sell a dog to a home that is going to keep it in the house and interacting with the family on a daily basis than to someone who is solely going to look at it as a hunting partner and put it in a kennel 9 months a year and just throw food at it (and most likely complain about it's performance, when lack of training and conditioning is to blame, not the dog)......in a perfect world, all GWP's would live in a home and be hunted heavily.

I have refused a guy who wanted to hunt wolves/coyotes with his GWP, I have refused several people for several reasons....but I don't refuse a family who wants a good, loyal, active dog to be a part of an active family.

Don't get me wrong; I screen my buyers and I make sure that they understand that this breed is very intelligent, sometimes slow to mature and develop, and needs to have a job. BUT, that job, IMO, can be obedience, rally, daily jogs.....anything to keep them busy.
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 02/08/09, 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Drahthaar and 5 yr old
We got buried by 12 inches total last week.
Fun in the snow

Never had her pull before, she Loved it! He did too.

gwp4ever

PostPosted: 03/27/09, 11:03 am    Post subject: Spend time with your dog Reply with quote

The most important thing is if you spend time with your dog, and/or your dog gets to be part of a loving and fun pack. Some people do hunt, but spend very little time with their dogs. So if you do things with your dog, and make sure the dog gets sufficient exercise and mental stimulation, then you should make a fine GWP person!!! Even if you don't hunt- although you may find yourself getting into hunting as your dog will love it!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: