German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Paw Wax?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StillwaterScout

PostPosted: 04/13/08, 6:45 pm    Post subject: Paw Wax? Reply with quote

Greetings fellow GWP aficiandos.Very Happy' I'm a new member and this is my first post. We own our first GWP (Idawire Follow Me Boys Scout). He's 8 months old and has been a great addition to the family. We get him out at least once a day and most days, twice. He's been through his first two obedience and some preliminary field training and looks to have great natural ability that I look forward to nurturing. Here's my question. Does anyone have any experience with Paw Wax? When we walk, run and/or cycle with him we try to keep him in the grass, but invariably there is some pavement time and I noticed today that one of his paws had been heavily scuffed. 'Sad'I'm not a big fan of putting on "booties" and was wondering if anyone on this forum has had experience with paw wax and or perhaps any other tips on paw care. Very Happy
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/04/09, 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I use paw wax (Musher’s Secret) when snow is on the grown. You may want to try products called Pad Heal to heal your dog’s pads, then Tuf-Foot to toughen the pads. I have and do use them and they work well. Hope this helps
biggdadd58

PostPosted: 02/05/09, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog has paws so rough, it can take paint off the side of a car. You are saying that I should try to soften them up?
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/05/09, 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to seek advice from your vet. Sometimes paw condition indicates a serious health problem. Scaling of the foot pad can indicate ichthyoids, Calluses on all four feet may be a sign of internal problems, the lack of Zinc in the diet can thicken the paw pad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Health Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: