German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

GWP Print- Raffle tickets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Nationals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dualgwp

PostPosted: 09/11/07, 3:45 pm    Post subject: GWP Print- Raffle tickets Reply with quote

If you would like to see the framed and matted print that is being raffled off to support the All Star Invitational.... go here
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/2007_09_09_archive.html
Look for the September pages- All Star Invitational
Tickets are $5 a piece or 5 for $25... a bargain!!!!!

The winner will be drawn at the National banquet in Illinois, and you don't need to be present to win.

If you would like raffle tickets, please email me directly at
justagwp@tradenet.net
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/11/07, 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual, that is a great pic! I also like the idea of the Invitational however I have a problem with the time of year it is being held, hunting season!!!!! I mean come on; people who are using these dogs for what they were bred for are not going to take a precious weekend and attend a dog trial when duck, grouse, pheasant, woodcock, goose, etc. season is open!!

One more thing, just before hitting the "submit" button my better half asked me if we could go to this if it was held at a different time of year. My response, "of course I would".

Just my $.02 worth.

Chris

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=482
Billy Ray
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/15/07, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because hunting gwp's aren't a priority for the powers that be.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 09/17/07, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, thanks, we think the print is very special...buy tickets, it will look great on your living room wall!

Why is the GWP Nationals in the fall, oh, well, hmmmmmmm, there are reasons, lots of them. I personally wish they were in the spring, but they aren't. I don't believe any of those reasons have anything to do at all with wether the "powers to be" think hunting is important or not. The majority of our "powers to be" are avid hunters!

Since it's inception in 1963, this event has been held in the months of October or September. It's too hot in most places in September, and later than October we really run into not only more hunting seasons, but snow in the west, making travel difficult.

Spring holds it's own problems, including weather and lack of daylight hours.

We hope that all GWP owners can take a couple of days from their season to join together in one place to see and share their dogs. If we don't ever get a chance to see them..... well, then we never know what is out there.
In a couple of years, the Nationals will come to WI, maybe that will work better for your schedule. That is one reason we rotate the event, every third year it's not too far for someone.

2008 Nebraska, 2009 slated for the west coast.[/code]
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/18/07, 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual, thanks for the explanation. October is a tough month though, as I look at my schedule, 2 weekends in northern WI, one week in North Dakota and one weekend with the better half. There will be some duck hunting in the morning when I have to stay home with the better half you can bet.

Thanks, Chris

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=482
Repoman

PostPosted: 07/21/08, 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the print. No thanks....got no use for a white GWP. What good is a white "versatile" dog in the duck marsh? I might as well be waving a hankerchief at the waterfowl. Rolling Eyes
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/21/08, 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
people who are using these dogs for what they were bred for are not going to take a precious weekend and attend a dog trial

Hard to justify a breed Nationals in the middle of prime hunting season. If the club was really about bringing folks and dogs together for the benefit of all, they would hold it in the spring (April) before it gets warm and when there is enough cover to run events.

But the Nationals is not about the breed....its about the substantially the same people getting together every year to trade stories and change places in the ribbons. Its a social event....for the people, not the breed...if it was really about the breed, the event would be held when the most "dogs" could come.
Repoman

PostPosted: 07/21/08, 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like the NAVHDA invite......a picnic for the cronies and the no hunting hunting dog and its owner. Confused
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/21/08, 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just like the NAVHDA invite......a picnic for the cronies and the no hunting hunting dog and its owner

I am not a fan of the INV...and its not because my dog didn't pass. I argued at the NAVHDA National Meeting in Baltimore 10 years ago that NAVHDA should bring the Invitational to the membership and not make it into an elite event for the well heeled. This advanced test should be offered at any testing site in the country that can provide the grounds and water for such a test. To prepare and test a dog at this event can cost upwards of $3000, if you have to travel from either coast...It could be offered at the chapter level for a fraction of that.

I'm not going this year...its just too expensive to go to MN and then turn around and go back to ND 6 weeks later to hunt. With money for one trip, its a no brainer...I'll spend it to go hunting...not for a test.
Repoman

PostPosted: 07/22/08, 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I argued at the NAVHDA National Meeting in Baltimore 10 years ago that NAVHDA should bring the Invitational to the membership and not make it into an elite event for the well heeled.

You were just wasting your breath, just like when the INV went from every other year to every year. Now it is just an event put on by volunteers where pros running dogs are getting paid up to $5000 a dog to handle & train the dog. If you run multiple dogs you stand to double your $$money$$ if it is every year instead of every other year. It is quite a chunk of change they gain with no cost labor.

It has just gotten sickening IMHO. Rolling Eyes
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 07/22/08, 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It has just gotten sickening IMHO.

I wouldn't go that far...90% of the dogs are still being run by their owners.
Yes, most are experienced but isn't that the goal of any organization to create experienced people?

What has been going on for some time now is the two classes of membership. For example, this past weekend at a training day, 6-8 members just took off by themselves to train for the Invitational, leaving the less experienced to their own devices. We never saw these people for the entire day. They left the other dozen folks, mostly less experienced, to figure it out for themselves. This is BS....NAVHDA is a self help organization and that should mean that everyone helps.

Another side effect of the Invitational syndrome...the other is the multiple entries and test spots owners are tying up just to make sure they get a Prize 1.

Another reason I prefer the European system...you get 2 chances and that's it. To test 4-5-6 times and finally get a UT 1 so you can get to the Invitational just means you don't really have a Prize 1 dog.
Repoman

PostPosted: 07/22/08, 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What has been going on for some time now is the two classes of membership. For example, this past weekend at a training day, 6-8 members just took off by themselves to train for the Invitational, leaving the less experienced to their own devices. We never saw these people for the entire day. They left the other dozen folks, mostly less experienced, to figure it out for themselves. This is BS....NAVHDA is a self help organization and that should mean that everyone helps.

Boy ain't that the truth!!! Confused

But I stand by my sickening statement. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Nationals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: