German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Whoa and fetch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAAEBC

PostPosted: 04/30/08, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Whoa and fetch Reply with quote

Built a training table and working on whoa and fetch as described in NAVHDA training book. First few times my dog did great with whoa and kept a keen interest. Training is done indoors with very little distractions.

Problem is now it's very hard to keep his attention on the table and he wants to sit when I move away. I correct and move away, he sits. Repeat, repeat then repeat again. Hard to maintain my patience at times but I do my best to keep it positive.

Just started with fetch. He wants to chew more than hold. Best I know to do is hold his mouth closed to prevent chewing. This takes a lot of effort with a 77 pound one year old dog. When he doesn't want to open it's a battle of the wills. I have tried the force open (pinching his ear) but all he does is softly whince and endure the pinch. Again, we always end on a positive note.

I want to do right by this dog, suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 05/03/08, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will find any meaningful help on this list. I suggest you make contact with your local NAVHDA chapter and attend training days there.
SAAEBC

PostPosted: 05/05/08, 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Have joined national and local chapters. Attended one session so far and will make as many as possible.

Thanks for the reply
Repoman

PostPosted: 05/05/08, 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
I doubt you will find any meaningful help on this list. I suggest you make contact with your local NAVHDA chapter and attend training days there.

I doubt you will get any there either. Rolling Eyes But you will see a lot of what not to do to a dog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: