German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Pigeons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finn@point

PostPosted: 09/25/06, 11:44 am    Post subject: Pigeons Reply with quote

My pup is now 5 months old and has yet to see a bird. I wanted to know where, some of you that utilize pigeons for training, get them?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 09/25/06, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the good old days when we used to pack up the cooler with our favorite beverages, head out with nets and flashlights and hit the local bridges at 2 in the morning. We had more fun...... and when the cops would pull over, they just couldn't believe we were trying to catch pigeons!
Actually, now that I think on it, I believe I was slightly nuts! Ahhh, youth.

Today, I buy pigeons from anyone who has them. Trick is, don't tell them why you want the birds... some will hesitate to sell them to you. But today, pigeons aren't cheap. Expect to pay upwards of $4 a bird.

You just gotta put out feelers in your locale.
Finn@point

PostPosted: 09/26/06, 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what the breeder said too... flashlight and nets...
I haven't tried it yet, but this may be my only way that i know of. I know many farmers that would love to get rid of a few pigeons. How successful were you at actually catching them?

thanks,

Mike
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/26/06, 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have some Ahmish farmers around, go to them and see if their kids will catch them for you. We buy them for under $3.00 per bird.

Good luck, Chris
dualgwp

PostPosted: 09/27/06, 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a farmer who will allow it...
there is a cage you can buy that has "pigeon bobs" built into it that will allow the birds to go in, but they can't get out.

You put some food in there, and with luck the pigeons go in to get the food.

You can find these cages at many gun dog training supply places.

Bridge pigeons.. first off it has to be dark, the later the better so the birds have come back to roost for the night. You shine the flashlight up there to see them, then you have a long pole with a net on the end.

As the birds flush out, you snag them in the air, or if lucky, you can snag them as they sit, blinded by the light.

On a good night, we could come home with 20 birds or so. Be careful though, you really have to watch out for traffic, and of course the local law enforcement officers!

Today with PETA, there are people who won't understand and won't be to kind about letting you know about it either.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 09/28/06, 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not use pigeons....find somebody with real gamebirds. (quail, chukar) It will be worth your effort, and the little extra you will pay for REAL gamebirds. Many dogs won't even acknowlede or point a pigeon. They are stink birds. The only thing they are good for is throwing down in front of a dog to proof the dog's steadiness with live birds....otherwise I would not use them or recommend them. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
cjs180
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/02/06, 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with quail is they are hard to keep alive. Pigeons are easy to keep, fly well and good for young dogs that like to chase. They will not catch a pigeon if used properly. I have not seen a dog that will not point a pigeon. I have heard of it, just never seen it.
ChumpChanger
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 10/03/06, 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is dog that would not point a pigeon hunting with the "Goose killing insurgents" . He is NAVHDA UT 1 dog in one attempt and has a HR title. He did not attend the NAVHDA invite the year he was qualified because he belongs to a HUNTER. Playing pretend doggy games during hunting season is a no-no. The dog points everything gamebirds, but has no use for pointing pigeons. He retrieves everything land or water like a champ. This was Sundays a.m. field goose hunt. It is a wonder what the GWP can do when used for what they are supposed to have been bred for. Smile Hunting Versatility Very Happy Very Happy

dualgwp

PostPosted: 10/03/06, 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many adult dogs won't be interested in pigeons but young dogs that you are just starting the breaking process will. Especially if you shoot one or two of them and let the puppy retrieve them.

We use pigeons for lots of training purposes. Teaching stop to flush, backing work, retrieving.... and they are great for those youngsters that need to learn they can't catch birds. A couple of homers will keep you in business all season. Quail die, quail get eaten by predators, quail go away, at least around here they do.

Pen raised quail sometimes don't fly well and they are too easy for puppies to run down and catch. Wild birds are the best, but if you don't live where there are wild birds, well you have to utilize what you have.

This year we started to use tethered pigeons (tie a long, long string to a leg) to teach steady to shot and fall. When the bird hits the end of the string it goes down like it was shot. We take the dog off ( we don't let them retrieve every bird) and after we put him away we can go back and get the pigeon, put him back in the coop and use him another day. Has worked pretty good so far.

Glad to see the dogs being used for their intended purposes! Hunting is what it should all be about.
Finn@point

PostPosted: 10/07/06, 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy reading the info from everyone and i am taking it in like a sponge. Finn is just over 5 1/2 months and still hasnt been on any birds. When i say whoa, he will hold forever until i say okay, but i need to get some birds. Once he see a bird in front of him, i know he will break.

His yard work has been tremendous.

Thanks,

Mike
Bullock Outdoors

PostPosted: 09/01/07, 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am brand new to the GWP world, but I have always used pigeons for training retriever pups.

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock
Sundowner

PostPosted: 04/10/08, 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pigeons Reply with quote

Finn@point wrote:
My pup is now 5 months old and has yet to see a bird. I wanted to know where, some of you that utilize pigeons for training, get them?

Ishoot pigeons over here and any self respecting GWP will put up a little fight before retrieving them, never mind pointing them ! Having said that, my dog actually does point them and retrieves them.
Solely for pointing purposes I would use game birds only!

Check this out if you like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ETpGNoAufs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w6zs4espqc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: