German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Pulling my hair out!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalmad

PostPosted: 04/09/08, 12:19 am    Post subject: Pulling my hair out!!! Reply with quote

Hi, I'm from New Zealand, and have just found this site. I am at my wits end, and hope I may be able to get some good advice. Here we go.. Our dog, is a 2 year old male gwp. He is a constant barker, who is a permanent alarm clock set at 5.30 am!! We tried a bark collar, and I am sure that he figured that he could "yip" just under what was required to properly activate the collar. He barks and whines when I get home everyday, I have tried ignoring, shouting etc etc. Strangely he doesn't do his 5.30am wake up call if hubby is home, the bugger knows he will be in serious trouble, he saves that for me for six out of the seven days. He is also a poo eater - YUK. I have tried the pineapple thing, multivitamins, pepper on it if you catch him in the act, he just got to the point that he knew it was going to be either taken away or dealt with, so he would be doing his business, and literally turn round before the stuff hit the ground and start dining!! We even changed his diet numerous times and still he feasts. We also have a real job trying to do anything touchy-feely with him, he reminds me of a kid with ADHD. We can't brush him, or clip his nails etc, without my husband pinning him down and me still holding on and just doing my best, treats etc have had no impact. I know this is a bit of an ask but any advice will be greatly appreciated, it's almost a me or the dog situation. The only good thing I can find about him is he isn't a bad dog around the kids, until he gets in the sly lick. Sorry this is soooo long.
dualgwp

PostPosted: 04/09/08, 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... sounds like this dog has YOUR number! IF he doesn't pull this nonsense when hubby is around, what does that tell you? Tells me, dog respects hubby and not you.

It's up to you to make dog understand you are also in charge!

The other question I would have for you is what does this dog do? Exercise wise, working wise? Does he have a job, does he get out several times a week to run his butt off? Does he go for walks? This breed needs exercise, the more the better, without it they can become not fun to live with.

Poop eating.... there is a product called Forbid. Have never used it myself, but it's out there just for this problem. This behaviour may also come from the dog being bored as well.

Do an internet search for The Dog Whisperer.... he can teach you how to become the boss.
Dual
SAAEBC

PostPosted: 04/09/08, 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not alone, I have a 12 month old male with very similar traits. He outsmarts the bark collar with whining and yipping (we only use the collar during crate time). When he wants to get up in the morning he makes sure everyone hears him. Inside the house he wants to have sight of someone at all times or he whines and cries. This does get very trying, but we just accept this breed is very social that craves our companionship. He's a great loveable dog.

As for your other concern, ours does the same. He actively seeks out droppings for a quick snack. He's very fast and sneeky. I just keep thinking he'll outgrow this phase like he outgrew picking up and chewing on rocks. What can you do? I posted about this once and received no replies. I think just wait it out. My fingers are crossed.

Good luck
Repoman

PostPosted: 04/09/08, 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from what I have read in this thread, you might have been better served buying a cat.
animalmad

PostPosted: 04/09/08, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, as for his exercise, he gets 20 -30 minutes free running every afternoon, along with obedience training, for his bird hunting. He gets to walk along the river where we live, and he flushes birds most evenings, and go for a swim if he desires. This dog does bark in the evening when hubby gets home, and doesn't listen to either of us then, and that is usually after he has been on his afternoon walk/training with me. "I" have enough respect from him, for him to turn in the field and return to me when he is whistled, so I don't think it's a lack of respect thing. He will also sit and stay in our paddock until I give him his signal to move. We have had two weimaraners, and one hungarian viszla who is now going on fourteen, without any lingering problems, hence the concern for this dog. He's just plain demanding when he wants his own way. I know this dog is inteligent, and is what most of the problem is, after all he has the utmost respect for anyone once the 12ga is in the crook of your arm!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Companion Training All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: