German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

Health of our GWP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/11/07, 1:31 pm    Post subject: Health of our GWP Reply with quote

Need some help here. Jake is 5 yrs. old. When we first got him we put him on Sensible Choice food. Had to take him off of that because it bound him up so bad he couldn't go to the bathroom. We unfortunately put him on Science diet. Now his anal glands need to be cleaned every 2 months. Our vet said he needed more fiber and to talk to the people at Soldan's (our local feed store) and they could help me. Went in to talk to them and the gentleman told me that he needed less fiber. Now I am really confused. He suggested Innova or Evo. Does anyone have an opinion on this? More fiber...less fiber... and which food. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Butterfly
HeissDraht

PostPosted: 12/11/07, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an answer for you, but I got a little excited that there is someone in my neck of the woods. I know Soldan's is a local chain here.

Hope you find someone with an answer to your problem.
CA Huntin' Mom

PostPosted: 12/11/07, 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly...
I don't know about more or less fiber.....sorry....but my GWP had
allergies to corn / wheat. We have tried every type of food out...
including raw. Hank L-O-V-E-S Evo. He has no problem going to
the bathroom and no anal gland problems. It is expensive, but he
eats half as much as my GSP on Exclusive....and she has anal gland
problems during the summer this year.
We give Hank: Evo - Red Meat - large bite (not a great smell) I was
told it is a kibble form of raw but no refrigeration.
Good Luck
Cory
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/11/07, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. I was leaning towards Evo. Maybe I'll try a small bag and see what happens. If anyone else has an opion I would love to hear it.
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 12/11/07, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HeissDraht. Glad to know someone else is in the area. You wouldn't happen to have a white and roan GWP. I've seen one a couple of times in a truck at the Meridian Mall?
HeissDraht

PostPosted: 12/11/07, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly,

I sent you a PM
Leadhead
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/11/08, 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very careful about what (brand) food you use. Read and understand the labeling. Look for foods made with human grade products. I can tell you what I use after many trials and failures. I currently use EVO by Innova (the ancestral diet) mixed with a dry premium (rendering free) dog food. This diet has made the world of difference with my dogs, outstanding coats, great mussel tone, and stamina, well form stools with no putrid odder. I will say that this diet is not cheap, but what is your dog worth to you. Hope this helps and look at www.homestead.com/VonHapsburg/petfood.html
Butterfly
Junior
Junior

PostPosted: 02/11/08, 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did alot of research and finally settled on feeding him Innova. He has done very well on this and really likes it. So far no problems. It is expensive but he's worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: