German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

GWP Rescued Rochester NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Rescue Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandi

PostPosted: 02/08/08, 10:23 pm    Post subject: GWP Rescued Rochester NY Reply with quote

I rescued my Abbie from a local pound a week before Christmas. Her age was estimated between 1 and 2 years old and she was 10 lbs. underweight. The pound was surprised to have found a stray purebred GWP and kept her longer thinking that her owner would show up. No one did.

I brought Abbie into my home which has 4 cats, a purebred Tibetan Terrier, and my little black spaniel mix (a city pound rescue).
Abbie bonded to me quickly and she is sweet, funny, smart and has a lot of puppy mischief in her!!! We are now in obedience class. She spends the day in my garage with my tibetan while I am at work --- (I had tried to kennel her -- she went crazy in the kennel - tore up her bed every day, bent the wires in her cage, and chewed the plastic tray!)

One of my main concerns is that she loves to point at my cats and chase them. She sits at the top of the basement stairs and waits for them to venture up. She also bats at them with her paws (trying to play with them) and I am affraid she will knock them out. I have been using the spray bottle on her. Will she get over this as she matures?? Is there anything I can do to get her to leave them alone?
dualgwp

PostPosted: 02/09/08, 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks for taking Abbe in! it always amazes me when one of this breed gets lost and the owners never bother to find them!

to your question... YES, there is lots you can do to save the cats. Train her to leave them alone. She cannot look at them, stalk them, chase them, stare at them. If you decide she is no longer allowed to do any of those things, then it's easy. Be consistent. If you refuse to train her to leave them alone, then it will only be your fault when one day she grabs one.

Do yourself, Abbe and the cats a favor.... teach her they are not hers to play with, and do it now!

Good luck.
Dual
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Rescue Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: