German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

quick intro and ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wesleyc6

PostPosted: 05/08/05, 5:56 pm    Post subject: quick intro and ? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
My name is Wes. I am a falconer in GA. I got my first GWP pup yesterday. I am going to fly a large falcon this year and will be trying for ducks and doves and quail. I will also hunt squirrels and rabbits later on. I want the GWP to help flush ducks off the pond(they freeze with a falcon in the air) and to pick up cripples. I want him to retrieve dove in the gun field. I have hunted with my hawks over beagles, feists, dachsunds and the such. I feel fairly confident in that area as the training is all about the same for rabbits and squirrel. Teach the dog come and to respect the hawk. Introduce to game and HUNT HUNT HUNT. I realize that pointers have a little more background work and that obedience is much more critical. I watched a video today and I ordered a book that I saw recommended on here, but it isn't here yet. I bought the pup at about 4months of age and have had it less than 24 hours. I took him to the pond today and he hesitantly retreived a tennis ball in the water and he seem to really like to retreive in the yard. I also killed a captive bred quail today for my hawks and tossed it out just to see what he would do. Well he gently brought it right back to me. WOW! I was so pleased. I won't be doing that anymore for sure, but I just had to see what he would do. Here is my long winded question. On the video the fellow doesn't teach true retrieving until AFTER the dog heels on leash and sit-stays. My question is if it is OK to play with a tennis ball and just let it be fun or wait until I get the sit-stay firm first?

Thanks,
Wes
whiskerdog1
Master
Master

PostPosted: 05/08/05, 6:22 pm    Post subject: GWP ? Reply with quote

I got to tell you that Im jealous of you and your hawks/falcons. Always been a dream of mine to capture/train and hunt my own. Maybe 1 day-Ill be old and grey by then but till then Ill keep dreaming.

"My question is if it is OK to play with a tennis ball and just let it be fun or wait until I get the sit-stay firm first?"

By all means, encourage your pup to play ball and fetch socks/wings anything. I think by making it fun it makes training easier down the road. DOnt overdo it, or use any pressure. Just fun. Depending on your training level, I would FF after 15mo old or have done by a pro. It doesnt have to be overly traumatic-you can even FF with treats and positive reinforcement but eventually you will have to order him and he must comply. Thats where the Force in the Force fetch comes from. Too much to go into here. Just have fun till then-most of my dogs were trained with alot of positive reinforcement and treats. It works!
wesleyc6

PostPosted: 05/09/05, 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I tried to reply yesterday. I don't know what happened. Thanks for the advice! My advice would be to combine your love of dogs with a good hawk or falcon. Of course you should go out some with a falconer and see if you like it. I have found it is the perfect hunting sport. Don't wait until you are old. My apprentice this year was 14yrs old. I am only 30.

Wes
walltentwire

PostPosted: 05/10/05, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wes, Whiskerdog1 is right on the money. Just relax. show that pup what his role is supposed to be, and in a year or less he'll be kicking butt. That's what I did with my first wire. I'm not a field trialer, I'm a hunter with specific requirements in a dog. I trained to develop a dog that hunted my way in the kind of cover I hunt. I was way too wound up with my first dog. The next one I'll get the same results with a lot less worry.
build the bond with your pup. at 4 months you've got a little catching up to do in the bonding dept. But the best way to bond with the pup is to work and play with it as much as you can.
A nice lady I know who has trained some super pointers says " you need an iron hand in a velvet glove"
Gentle but firm. That's the way to train a high-drive dog like a wire. Have fun down there in GA.
I'm laughing 'cause my wire is used to the cold. He would have a tough time in GA.
Don't be shy about braggin up yer pup either. Everybody posting here knows how much fun it is to see a pup get it right.
Just train the way you hunt.
wesleyc6

PostPosted: 05/11/05, 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I got Joan Bailey's book(read it in a day) and that is exactly what she suggests. Basically encourage what he does right the first year and ignore many of the things he does wrong and by the end of the year he will be doing great and will be ready for some formal work. Suits me fine. He and I have been going together as much as possible. He is a little shy but definitely bonding now. Starting to eat better. Sleeps in the chair with me a lot. Having some fun with the tennis ball. Let him swim some yesterday and you could tell he was unsure, but he kept going in anyway on his own accord. I think he is going to be great with the water. This is going to be fun for sure!

Wes
joereese

PostPosted: 02/03/08, 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wesley I am a new owner also, its pretty exciting. everything I read says have fun and take your time, be consistant, my GWP is only 11 weeks old but man he is a quick learner and he loves to please,stay in touch and let me know how it is goin. maybe we can help each other out Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: