German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

timid or just normal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dakotagun

PostPosted: 01/02/08, 10:57 am    Post subject: timid or just normal? Reply with quote

our 5-mo old gwp is my first of this breed; i've owned a couple of brittanies in the past but wanted a change. i am concerned that she is too timid - i notieced she was 'cautious and jumpy' in the weeks after bringing her home. do they grow out of that?
i dont remember my brits being so timid. i know intro to the gun will be a slow and careful process, started that last month with no obvious issues, but erred on the side of under-stimulation. she is scared of vehicle rides, so i'm trying to increase her exposure to that and make it a fun trip each time (treats, walks, etc).
is there hope for her/us? how can i make her more bold & confident? i've read a couple of books (often mentioned here) but didn't catch any reference to this behavior.
Jon
Senior
Senior

PostPosted: 01/02/08, 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect a pup this age to be "ripping it up" but some pups do take a cautious approach to life. Exposure is the best bet...take the dog everywhere starting with less threatening situations. When it comes time to introduce to the gun, I would start small (blank pistol) well away from her and connect it with a positive, like being fed immediately afterwards.
Once she is into birds, connect the shot (away from her) to a flushing bird - the shot must always signal a positive. I have also had great success letting young dogs watch the excitement of other dogs - blank shot as a dummy is thrown for the retrieve. Let the pup sit back from the action - not too close to the shot and don't let it get run over.

Bluntly, this kind of ultra-caution shouldn't be necessary but sounds like you have a more sensitive dog. I would notify your breeder of the possible problem and get their input. The pup's temperament may become a problem but it is too early to tell. A little patience usually will do it. You have 9 months til the season opens-don't be in a rush. Little steps-build confidence first-take back control later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Training for field All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: