German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America
AKC Parent Club for the German Wirehaired Pointer

ForumForum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Home Page   gwpca bulletin boardBulletin Board   gwpca bulletin boardGWPCA Rescue Page 

In Memory of Chewy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Rescue Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatCupl

PostPosted: 12/10/07, 12:26 am    Post subject: In Memory of Chewy Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

I am writing these words to share my story and try to help get over a huge loss I have recently had to encounter. About 4 ½ years ago we had the good fortune and luck to find a beautiful 7 year old male GWP named Chewy at a local shelter. We had just lost a 14 year old lab mix to old age and needed a companion for our Weimeraner.

I still remember the first time I saw Chewy in the shelter lying on the floor lonely and depressed as he and his family member (an 8 year old female GSP) had been surrendered by their owners. She was out being exercised at the time we arrived and when she returned to the kennel area he immediately responded to her presence. I knew at that moment that he was a special and affectionate boy that had a heart of gold.

We proceeded to adopt him and I cannot explain in words what a truly awesome dog he was. It didn’t take long for us to bond and within a few weeks we were in the field together chasing pheasants. His drive in the field was unstoppable and he could pinpoint a pheasant in the thickest locations. Once inside the house he had the manners of a true gentlemen. He loved to be near us and was always happy. Every night when I crawled into bed he tucked me in by coming over for a final petting and head scratch before he would retire to his spot just across the room. This year he turned 11 and I knew he was starting to slow down, but I was not prepared for the task I had to do a few days ago.

About a month ago a tumor in his abdomen was discovered on his liver or spleen that was irritating his stomach and he was not able to hold food. We treated him with some medication for nausea and things seemed to be improving. I knew that he was now officially retired from the field and would live out the rest of his life in comfort while continuing to provide companionship. Unfortunately his condition worsened, it was affecting his bladder and prostrate and he was now in pain. On one of his final nights with us I believe he was trying to tell me it was time to say goodbye. As I let him outside to do his bathroom duties he would stand there and stare at me and then look into the woods nearby the house, looking as if he wanted to go out there quietly and not return.

On the next day we made the decision that all loving pet owners fear, but know will someday more than likely need to be made. It has been less than a week and I cannot believe how much I truly miss my Chewy.

I am truly thankful for the 4 ½ years I was able to be around this amazing dog. I know with time the pain will subside, but I will never forget him and because of him I have become attached to the GWP breed. Someday I hope to adopt again and would be happy if the next GWP is ½ of what he was.

Sincerely,

J. Matz

[/img]
dualgwp

PostPosted: 12/12/07, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It's never easy, and doesn't ever get any easier.

With luck, you will find the time to get a new best buddy, there are many out there that can use a new best friend as well!

Thanks for sharing
Bernee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America Forum Index -> Rescue Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: